Krag Board of Ordnance Rifle

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Krag Board of Ordnance Rifle

Post by Whig »

Dick,

Here's one of your specialties! Nice specimen. Love the unique rear sight! Their estimates are $8,000-12,000! WOW!

https://www.proxibid.com/Guns-Military- ... 1#topoflot

WAGON

Re: Krag Board of Ordnance Rifle

Post by WAGON »

Wow brought a good price but when you think about it They are a piece of history not only a rifle I hope it has a good home

Whig

Post by Whig »

WoW! Over $17,000! More than I'd ever pay!

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

Only 100 over 100 years ago still looked in original configuration 2 world war's and numerous other conflicts It's amazing

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Ho Lee Schitt (great Sino-Germanic philosopher)!!!

Way nicer than either of mine, which still sit, covered with dust, awaiting a final decision as to what to do with them. I've pretty well convinced myself to sacrifice my nice 1902 stock from a standard rifle and put in on 389182. I have been brainstorming how to do the fitting as invisibly as possible - rather than splicing on a new forend - I'll cut a new shoulder 4" back, leaving a stub to go inside the the upper band and make the joint there, filling the upper lightening cut at the same time. By doing that, the band-pin and exposed tip of stock will remain original, as well as having a perfect color/patina match on the wood.

I will probably then sell my second one, 388786, which is in an undated M99 carbine stock with 1902C sight. This MAY be "right", though undocumented, as I do NOT find it outlandish to assume that, during trials, someone could have said "I wonder how this thing would look/handle in a short stock?" FWIW, that one has a standard front sight blade (not something a home diddler would be likely to change) fitted in lieu of the special BoOF one. All serious offers will be considered.

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

The Krags in the Amoskeag auction were grouped together. Did anyone notice the Philippine Constabulary rifle? Was it legit?

CoRifleman

Post by CoRifleman »

I dont know, but I was drooling over a couple of them.

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

Amoskeag is a pretty good & helpful organization. Several auctions ago, they had two Krags with Stevens-Pope barrels up for bid. The descriptor gave SNs for the Krags, which was irrelevant. I sent Amoskeag an e-mail explaining that the value was in the SN of the barrels. They disassembled both rifles, took photos of the S-P marks and numbers and e-mailed all that to me. Then they altered the on-line description of both lots.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

A gentleman on Facebook appears to have turned up a previously unknown specimen, 388788. He says it is pristine. Will advise more as/if info becomes available. The number is certainly believable (said he looking at 388786! 8-) ). If correct it belongs in the database.

Whig

Post by Whig »

As I can attest to, there are still some great Krag treasures still floating around out there! Good news. Look forward to more details. Thanks, Dick.