1896 carbine on the way

U.S. Military Krags
Dick Hosmer

Re: 1896 carbine on the way

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Granpas (after the holidays) S&S, Ebay, Lodgewood, A KCA member . . . it'll work out!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I stand corrected on the 'blade'. Dick Hosmer knows Krags!

Whig

Post by Whig »

If you cannot find the correct "c" stamped front blade for your beautiful Krag carbine, the shooting experience may be that you find your Krag shooting lower than it should for a standard Krag round of ammunition. The issue with the correct carbine sight is that the rear sight and front sight are different than the rifle sights for the same ammunition load because of the difference in barrel length. They had to calibrate the rear sight differently than the rifle rear sight, and the front blade matched the sight calibration, therefore had to both be appropriately marked. See comparison picture below.

So, your Krag carbine, 22 inch barrel, with the correct Krag rear sight and a taller rifle front sight blade, may simply shoot low on the target. You could just file the blade that you have down until it shoots point of aim, or close, with standard .30-40 Krag ammunition.

You may have already figured this out. Just re-posting if you didn't. The correct front sight blade will show up eventually. But it might take a while of searching. You can still shoot your Krag in the meantime, if the chamber and bolt look good. Check them out, clean and lube it up well and it should be good to go! All regular factory produced ammunition is fine to shoot in any healthy Krag without issues. Watch vintage ammunition which may have cracked necks or other aging damage. They shoot but may be unsafe in some ways. And never shoot someone else's hand loads. You can never be sure what they really have inside of them. Keep all empty cases and reload them yourself if possible. Keep us informed. Hope it comes soon!
Attachments
front sight1.jpg
front sight1.jpg (243.03 KiB) Viewed 712 times

Blueheeler

Post by Blueheeler »

Thanks Whig, I do a fair amount of reloading so as soon as I can scare up some brass I'll get some rounds together. I have plenty of 150 grain FMJs and suitable powder (will likely start with BLC2). The old guns certainly tend to shoot high at closer ranges, I have a Swiss veterli that I use the two target technique with-post one target above the other, aim at the lower, hopefully hit the upper!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Once you get the proper center to center distance worked out, the two-target method is an excellent way to enjoy your rifles without making any physical modifications to them.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

As OP points out, many old military rifles and carbines, with original sights, tend to shoot 'high'.

The taller blade on his 'auction' Krag carbine may have been done by a civilian owner to better regulate the point of impact with the point of aim?

The current blade will look a lot better if it is merely reshaped to a correct profile, maybe without reducing its height.

The best thing is to shoot the carbine first, before making any changes.

Blueheeler

Post by Blueheeler »

She just arrived. Looks really good, bore is very good without a cleaning. 3 hole stock with three cleaning rods included. Will have to wait until tomorrow for a detailed exam, but everything looks good and I am very happy.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Cool Beans!

We want good pictures, some with feet!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Blueheeler, since you are relatively new here you may not know about our Feet of the KCA thread. It was broken for a while, but I just checked and it loaded up fine.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=146&p=1231&hilit=fe ... +kca#p1231
Well I was logged out when I checked it, hope it is fine for someone that is logged in.

Blueheeler

Post by Blueheeler »

Keeping up with tradition...
Screenshot_20221220_162908_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221220_162908_Gallery.jpg (180.63 KiB) Viewed 645 times