what’s the story on this sported 1892… low serial number

U.S. Military Krags
cstimmel23

what’s the story on this sported 1892… low serial number

Post by cstimmel23 »

Looking for info regarding a rifle I just picked up!! I’ve wheeled and dealed over the last couple of months and ended up with a Krag!! If anyone can please help me in regards to the history of the rifle and possibly some history on the sporter job!! My phone will not allow me to send pictures although if you inquire me through my phone number (740-603-5075) i’d greatly appreciate your opinion on the rifle!! Serial # 21xx

Whig

Re: what’s the story on this sported 1892… low serial number

Post by Whig »

Welcome to our Krag forum. We are glad to help as much as we can but we need more information and pictures. Your serial number is very early and you say it's sporterized. So, you have an early, sporterized Krag. That's all we can say. Can't even help at all with the "history" part without the entire serial number. Sporterized Krags can be great shooting rifles but don't have any military collectible value. Without pictures, your Krag is worth $XX. Have you gotten any Krag references to learn about your new acquisition? Poyer's in readily available on ebay for around $20. Great reference to learn from. Welcome again!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Another welcome to the KCA. In the past you could not post photos on your first post. I think that was to help control spammers. We did have a bout with them last year. The other issue with posting photos is the size restriction. The restriction is done for good reason. I posted the linked info a little while back, maybe it could help you with your photos. I think others have posted from phones before. I use a plip phone and am terrible with working with it other than making and receiving calls. I have taken a few photos with mine, but I transfer them to a desktop then edit them to get them the right size then post them from the desktop. People smarter than me can edit and post them directly from the phone.
We would all like to see what you got.

viewtopic.php?p=43145#p43145

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Welcome 'cstimmel23' to the KCA Forum.

It is very interesting to get a look at early model 1892 Krags, even when they have been altered.

Attached is a photo of three soldiers with U.S. model 1892 rifles. The 'flat' butt-plate, long slender wrist, and full-length cleaning-rod are early features visible in the photo.
Attachments
model-1892.jpg
model-1892.jpg (769.57 KiB) Viewed 792 times

Blueheeler

Post by Blueheeler »

Welcome, if you can email the pictures let us know. I could then private message you an email address to send them to and post them for you.

03collector

Post by 03collector »

Great picture looks like the trooper ln the middle has a 1st. pattern 1892 rifle with the solid barrel band.