Sad fate of #482

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Sad fate of #482

Post by butlersrangers »

The action of an early U.S. model 1892 Krag, number 482, is being sold on GunBroker.

There is no listing in the SRS data on this rifle number, but a close scrutiny of the receiver photos, tell a bit of its story.

The receiver has been 'notched' for the later type of extractor, with a 'hold-open pin'.
This reveals that the rifle was rebuilt in 1897 or in the early 1900s, to have model 1896 features.
(The action is now inappropriately equipped with an early model 1892 extractor).

The metal surface texture, on the left-side of the receiver, shows a line of four vague 'wavy' spots.
This suggests 'filled' (drilled & tapped) holes, that anchored a scope mount.
All of this is an indication that Krag, #482, was altered and finished its assembled life as a civilian 'Hunting Rifle".

This action caught my interest because it is so early, but the modifications to it killed that interest.

The action is marketed on the Magic 'grey blanket', so it will likely sell for a puzzling amount of money.

(FWIW - One photo shows an action front-view, this nicely reveals the inside-flange that the breech of the Krag barrel 'bottoms' against, when fully installed).
Attachments
early.jpg
early.jpg (97.59 KiB) Viewed 897 times
early2.jpg
early2.jpg (176.53 KiB) Viewed 897 times
early3.jpg
early3.jpg (180.35 KiB) Viewed 897 times

Blueheeler

Re: Sad fate of #482

Post by Blueheeler »

I see the same seller has no. 332 for sale. Interesting.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

To be fair, the Seller has a 100% approval rating and he has a long history of listing very interesting and desirable items,
with knowledgeable descriptions.

It is an interesting Krag action.

I wonder what happened to the 'nicked' tip of the extractor?

Blueheeler

Post by Blueheeler »

I've bought some things from the seller in the past and have always been satisfied. He must have gotten a hold of an interesting Krag collection.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I too, have dealt with him in the past, and everything was on the up-and-up - but - the old adage still applies; do your homework and know what you are looking at. He's making no attempt to hide the wrong extractor, but neither does he point it out.

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

My late friend (died 2002) may have been the original culprit. He had a 3-digit, #4XX range, 1894-dated action that he rebarreled to .35 Remington. Had a hacked-up stock that he refinished. He wasn't a computer guy, didn't know about collector sites. Restoration would have required components that he could not find. The idea was to shoot lead bullets. Didn't feed very well. About 2004, I took it to a gun show & sold it.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

I picked up a complete receiver for him a few weeks back. He sure has a lot of them.

nagkalimot

Post by nagkalimot »

I have bought from him... transacts smoothly. I was just excited to get an earlier numbered receiver. For a shooter it isn't so bad, right?

You all have a fine eye... I would not have noticed some of the details you have. That will make this considerably harder to find "good" parts! But I guess that is why some guns go so much higher at auction... when they are more correct.