Krag sight screws

U.S. Military Krags
King carp

Krag sight screws

Post by King carp »

Has anyone bought rear sight screws from S&S firearms? If so are they the correct thread pitch? I think they are newly made. I was wondering if they fit well. thanks in advance, KC

butlersrangers

Re: Krag sight screws

Post by butlersrangers »

I can't remember for sure. I've bought parts from S&S Firearms and never had a problem.
I may have gotten a few reproduction sight-screws from them, but I just can't recall for sure.

I've used reproduction sight-screws, maybe a half dozen pairs, and probably only had one screw that stripped its threads.
I have usually gotten spare reproduction screws from a parts vendor named Larry Brown, who displays at the Michigan Antique Arms Show.

S&S Firearms has been around for a long time and has a good reputation. They are worth trying on such a matter.
They have likely had different suppliers over the years.

King carp

Post by King carp »

Thanks Charles, i will give them a try. The two local gun shows by me used to be a good source for parts, magazines, slings, etc. Those days seem to have come to an end.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I would think S&S screws will work fine. I am pretty sure I have looked at them on their website and they use a modern Unified thread profile. This is a little different than the profile used by SA. The attached photo shows the rounded crests and valleys of the original screws. The Unified profile used on almost all American screws will have flats on the valleys and crests. The size of the flats is specified 1/8 of the height of the thread. Most of the new metric profiles use a similar size of flats, so the looks of newer screws today have almost become universal which makes it a little harder to tell them apart by just looking.

All that said I would think that S&S tweaked their screws a little so they peaks on the male threads do not bind on most if not all Krag barrels.
Attachments
KFSSrs.jpg
KFSSrs.jpg (336.88 KiB) Viewed 536 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I probably 'have a screw loose', but I always enjoy threads about threads!

FredC - You should write an informational booklet, for sale to gun hobbyists: "Thread Bare - The Untold Story & insights into gun threads"

Most of us have little understanding of the various 'initials', standards, and methods of screw-making, beyond 'die-cut' threads.
Without exposure, it is hard to comprehend how screws and threads are mass produced.
Attachments
early3.jpg
early3.jpg (180.35 KiB) Viewed 529 times
IMG_9329.JPG
IMG_9329.JPG (300.16 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Redfield_screw_improvise_001 (2).jpg
Redfield_screw_improvise_001 (2).jpg (75.34 KiB) Viewed 529 times