A Typical Newbie Question

U.S. Military Krags
dtdtdtdt

A Typical Newbie Question

Post by dtdtdtdt »

I have a Krag that has been in my possession for 65 years. Prior to that it was owned by two OLD gentlemen who were of the age to have been in the Spanish War. However, more likely in the Phillipines. My brother and I found it in their barn after they were long deceased with no relatives. It may have been used as a salute rifle for funerals as we found a couple boxes of blanks with it. We preserved it since. My brother, now deceased, apparently put varnish over the wood and possibly the metal parts as a teenager. Since then it has been untouched. 50 years ago I bought a box of ammunition and shot it a few times. The blanks helped celebrate some un-remembered occasion.

It is the Model of 1898 with a serial number that shows that it is a 1901 manufacture. 321xxx. It is the full 30" barrel length with no modifications that I can detect. I added an original cleaning rod and oiler kit and a reproduction brass muzzle cover a few years ago.

Recent discussions with some of my friends made me search for markings and cartouches. There appears to be a very faint circle behind the trigger guard toward the butt. I've heard about the Circle P marking on many Krags but I can't make out a letter. In addition there are number just in front of the top of the butt plate. They read "26" over "8? " the question mark is either an "7" or a "1" with a "bar" above the 1. I assume they are rack markings used for inventory purposes. The 26 may indicate the 26th Infantry Regiment but ??

I found that the 26th Infantry Regiment was activated in 1899 and deployed to the Philippines in 1901. The 26th remained in the Philippines for many years and possibly included the Philippine Scout unit.

I doubt that he rifle is anything special but would be interested in hearing anything your members might be able to tell me about it.

Thanks in advance.

FredC

Re: A Typical Newbie Question

Post by FredC »

Welcome to the KCA. Pretty interesting history on that one. We all like to see pictures. The guys here can tell you a lot by them.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Welcome to KCA! Your story is one that we love to hear about. An old Krag kept hidden for decades in a closet or barn and found years later. Please try to post some pictures so we can give you more detailed information. Sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A complete serial number would allow someone to check SRS data (Springfield Research Services) for a possible documented listing.

Whig

Post by Whig »

I see only one Krag with a 321XXX serial number that is documented for anything interesting in the SRS Manuals. (It was donated to the US Navy.) Chances are very low that op's is this one but we would love to know!

dtdtdtdt

Post by dtdtdtdt »

The full serial number is 321288. I'll take some pictures and try to figure out how to publish them here in the morning. It's a bit late now and I will be home tomorrow as a heavy winter storm in on its way to Ohio. Us old retirees have the option of rolling over and going back to sleep!!!!

Since the barn is about as far from water as you can get in the US, I doubt it had much to do with the Navy. Northeast Kansas. The old brothers I mentioned lived in the town for their entire lives as far as I know. Probably farmers or railroad equipment repairers. They were likely in their 70's when they died in the early or mid-1950s.. We found it about 1956-58 after a tornado damaged our home and much of the neighborhood in 1957. My brother graduated high school in 1961 so would have been about 15 when we found it. I was just about 10. My brother or I have had it our possession since then. He did take it to the Azores in the early 1960s when he was stationed there while in the Air Force.

If you direct me to the site where the research guys are putting their stuff, I will see if I can get it to them.

It's in pretty good shape. The bore is clear and bright. I have a video borescope and filmed the bore as a curiosity. There is some pitting in the first 3-4" of the bore measured from the chamber but the rest looks pretty good for a rifle shot with early smokeless powder and certainly corrosive primers.

The most interesting thing I have found with the bore scope is that MOST IF NOT ALL the barrels I have viewed have substantial pitting in the area where the bolt lugs rest during firing. NO ONE does a good job of cleaning those.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Whig was correct. There were only four Krags listed in SRS from the 321XXX serial number range. Two of those were destroyed in 1929 at the New Cumberland, Pa. depot.
Your U.S. Krag, number 321288, is not in the SRS list. Only about 3% of the Krags manufactured at Springfield Armory were found in the government records and documents that make up the SRS data.

Your story about finding this Krag with your brother, after a tornado, is far more interesting than most of the SRS 'factoids'.

Your Krag was likely assembled around April of 1901.

'dtdtdtdt' - I forgot my manners .... Welcome to the KCA Forum! (BTW - You've had access to a Krag, since I was 10 years old)!

dtdtdtdt

Post by dtdtdtdt »

Real question for you all is that do the numbers on the butt stock mean? 26 over 87 probably.
Anyone ever see anything like this??

I plan to take a few pictures today.

However, I don't seem to find a procedure for importing pictures. Do I just drag & drop??

dtdtdtdt

Post by dtdtdtdt »

Hope these got through. Sorry if they are a bit dark.
Attachments
IMG_2985.jpg
IMG_2985.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 528 times
IMG_2984.jpg
IMG_2984.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 528 times
IMG_2983.jpg
IMG_2983.jpg (34.36 KiB) Viewed 528 times
IMG_2981.jpg
IMG_2981.jpg (34 KiB) Viewed 528 times
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (34.24 KiB) Viewed 528 times

dtdtdtdt