1892 snowballs chance... front band?

U.S. Military Krags
nagkalimot

1892 snowballs chance... front band?

Post by nagkalimot »

I realize there is probably a reason I can't find one otherwise... does anyone have access to, or perhaps whispers of a location for an 1892 front band? I was one of the lucky three winners on gunbroker in the past couple weeks... wish I had landed one of the two 3 digits, but alas, my 4 digit will probably be a little easier to get all the parts for. Trying for as accurate as I can to a 1892 restoration, though the arsenal conversions will probably make that tricky.

Do they even still exist in the wild?

Whig

Re: 1892 snowballs chance... front band?

Post by Whig »

Welcome to KCA!

We would love to see what you just bought so we can enjoy it also. Please post pictures and tell us more. There are a couple early Model 1892 front barrel bands. The rarest is a full band on the first 2,000 Model 1892 Krags that had the cut out for the Ram Rod. The remainder of the early bands had the top cut out but retained the channel for the Ram Rod. I have only seen a couple of the full early front barrel bands on Krags over the past few years. I have seen many of the later ones with the Ram Rod channel that were on Model 1892 Krags, including the ones on my two early Krags. One of mine is a reproduction, actually. I don't think I have ever seen one sell separately. If I did, I probably would have tried to buy it myself! That doesn't mean they aren't out there but you may be searching for a while.

If your Krag has any of the permanent Model 1896 update/conversions, then you can never return it to full military correct Model 1892 configuration. That's a totally different situation. These Krags are much more common.

But, please share your new acquisition with us! The two Model 1892 Krags I have are real treasures even though one is not totally original. Many Ram Rods are reproductions also. Full original and correct Model 1892 Krags, unaltered, exist. They are pretty pricey, too.

Congratulations!
Attachments
M1892-2.jpeg
M1892-2.jpeg (408.64 KiB) Viewed 998 times
M1892-1.jpeg
M1892-1.jpeg (417.05 KiB) Viewed 998 times

nagkalimot

Post by nagkalimot »

Your guns are gorgeous!!

Oh, yes, pictures are very important!! Sorry for the over sight!
What I bought...
What I bought...
Screenshot_20230131_182934_Gallery.jpg (889.93 KiB) Viewed 969 times
Where we are now...
Where we are now...
Compress_20230131_182326_6158.jpg (719.96 KiB) Viewed 969 times
The parts I have right now are not exactly accurate according to Brophy or Poyer, but they will get it functional!

nagkalimot

Post by nagkalimot »

I guess I should probably clarify my position...

I want to collect, but I prefer a good shooter... I am part of the GAF (Grand Army of the Frontier). Shooting Victorian Era military firearms is part of the allure.

I fell in love with the unique mechanism that is the Krag... I have since started making shootably close replicas from otherwise sporterized firearms.

I am a poor school teacher so getting a "real" one may be beyond me... most of mine are refinished, missing pieces, or rifle carbines... I will add them to the observed list shortly. I wish I would have known about that gem... I could have added quite a few that I have seen!

Whig

Post by Whig »

We all share your passion for Krags! You are certainly headed in the right direction now that we know what you are trying to do. Don't worry too much about exact details. Your Krag may be a bunch of parts put together but it can still potentially shoot like an original! plus, you will have done it yourself. And we'll help as much as we can. There are lots of parts out there. make a list and start whittling it down. Good luck. The receiver is a great start.

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

1892's are out there but rare. A collector friend hooked me up with a bobbed but unconverted 1892 rifle. Bobbed as in the forestock had been cut off. I repaired the rifle. The 1892 cleaning rod I purchased from another collector friend cost me about half what I got the rifle for at auction. If ever I come across a proper 1892 band I suspect it wll cost me more than the rifle cost me. Currently the rifle has to make do with an 1896 front band.

You have a very nice 1896 receiver there. Have fun.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Do you have pics of the 4-digit?

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Hey, those bands have official names. :roll:
Krag band names.gif
Krag band names.gif (80.09 KiB) Viewed 926 times

nagkalimot

Post by nagkalimot »

Well now I'm embarassed... my receiver is only a 5 digit... sorry. I don't teach math.

So an 1896 setup would be much easier and probably more "correct" anyway.

Sorry for my course vernacular usage of band, but I assumed that since the lower bands are relatively unchanged though the service life of the krag and readily available on all buying platforms (gunbroker, eBay, granpas, s&s, etc...) that the need of an upper band with the ramrod hole would be apparent. Though in review there are several different lower band variations. So, thank you for the correction!

Whig

Post by Whig »

No problem at all. I went through many stages of learning about Krags and am still making mistakes and learning. They are really very difficult to master with all of the different part changes, styles, alterations, etc. This is where getting a good reference book or two about Krags, buying a couple, and really researching them will help you. I can't learn without tearing these rifles a part and looking at all the parts in my hands and putting them back together. I very tactile that way. But, we are here to help. No embarrassment at all!