Fired New Krag for First Time

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
jmdreg

Fired New Krag for First Time

Post by jmdreg »

After spending a fair amount of time cleaning the rifle, I brought it to a gunsmith for a once over and a safety opinion. He gave it an OK so I took it to the range yesterday. The weapon appears to be fairly accurate as I was able to place eight of ten rounds into a 24" paper target at 100 yards...none in the circles - all above. I don't consider myself any kind of a marksman so this is good enough for now. I think once I figure out a better sight picture the accuracy will improve. When I broke down the rifle I also had to remove the front sight blade to get the rear barrel band off and when I put it back on and repeened it, I may have changed the orientation of the blade slightly. Anyway, I'll practice some more with it and see how it goes...I do like shooting the thing though and will probably get into hand loading to hopefully bring down the cost of the ammo.

I did have hell of a time getting the bolt back together when I cleaned it and getting it back into the receiver. Thank God for You Tube videos.

gunboat57

Re: Fired New Krag for First Time

Post by gunboat57 »

Did that crack in the stock give you any problems? I know we'd all like to see some pictures of the your Krag when you get a chance.
Handloading is the long-term way to go. You could even get into casting your own bullets to fit your groove diameter. There's an initial investment, sure, but I haven't had to buy any bullets for a few years now because I cast and handload.
Tom P.