Takedown guide?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Grandpas_Grandson

Takedown guide?

Post by Grandpas_Grandson »

I'm looking for a (reasonably-priced) takedown guide for my Grandfather's-Dad's-My-My Son's Krag. I believe it's a model 1899 with a 1901 cartouche. I'll need to take some photos to post.

Anyway, Midway has the Radocy Takedown Guide "Krag-Jorgenson (30-40 Krag)." Can someone tell me if it's worth getting?

Thanks,
Barry

cjwils

Re: Takedown guide?

Post by cjwils »

Here is a link to a free publication. Don't know if this will do for you.
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/Krag%20manual.pdf

Grandpas_Grandson

Thank you...what a wealth of information!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

You'll find that the Krag is relatively easy to disassemble and reassemble. However, here are a few words of advice...

First, do not try to pull the hand guard off the barrel! It must be slid down the barrel after the stock is removed. I can not stress this enough. Your hand guard will crack if you try to pull it straight off.

Also... once it's off, use a quarter and nickel, and place the coins in the hand guard clips. This will keep the clips in the proper position and tension, and will also help preserve the fragile hand guard.

Hope these tips come in handy for you... Good luck with your Krag.

Paul

Grandpas_Grandson

Thanks, Paul. Mine has a completely open barrel on top, so I believe I won't have an issue with the handguard (I guess photos will help here, huh). That said, however, I think my son and I are catching "the bug," so we will need to keep your advice in mind...for our (future) second Krag.

My main concern is our first removal of the stock...slowly and carefully. Hints in that area?

-Barry

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

You'll find that the Krag is relatively easy to disassemble and reassemble. However, here are a few words of advice...

First, do not try to pull the hand guard off the barrel! It must be slid down the barrel after the stock is removed. I can not stress this enough. Your hand guard will crack if you try to pull it straight off.

Also... once it's off, use a quarter and nickel, and place the coins in the hand guard clips. This will keep the clips in the proper position and tension, and will also help preserve the fragile hand guard.

Hope these tips come in handy for you... Good luck with your Krag.

Paul

Apologies for picking nits, Paul, but for the mechanically unsophisticated, I'd insert "and rear sight" after "stock" above. It may seem obvious, but we've all seen the results of some pretty stupid moves.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Amen to that Dick. I really should have mentioned the rear sight and stock.

JOHN42768

Post by JOHN42768 »

Hi, Also see www.surplusrifle.com. Many, many guides. John

Grandpas_Grandson

And thanks again to all of you. John, that site has great pictures! Confidence-building, to be sure.

OK, so sometime this week we'll have it disassembled for the first real in-depth look in years. I don't even remember my dad cleaning it past general post-firing barrel, receiver, and bolt surfaces. I'm sure my Grandfather did, since it was his service weapon.

Trigger feels good. After initially removing the stock, if there are no obvious issues how much farther should I go? What parts should be oiled? And when should I take the bolt apart (firing pin, etc.)? What oil do you recommend for this 1901 stock?

Please forgive all the questions, but I've only dealt with more modern firearms (1963-present), and you folks are a storehouse of information.

-Barry

Nono

Post by Nono »

Finally get what I needed. Now I will become an expert with all this information I got here.
Thanks to all for the links...