New Acquisition

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Ken Knox

New Acquisition

Post by Ken Knox »

I picked up a nice Krag 1898 rifle the other day from the 84 year old grandson of the original owner. I traded some work for it. It had been stored in a closet for over 50 years unused. The stock has a coat of varnish on it. I asked if he had refinished it and he said no it has always looked like this and his father and grandfather wouldnt have done it. Is this the correct finish for a 1898 Krag made in 1901? The rifle is very accurate and is a joy to shoot.

Ken

Ken Knox

Re: New Acquisition

Post by Ken Knox »

Heres a link with some photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85591315@N00/sets/72157636869340976/

Ken

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Ken: You have an interesting Krag and some nice accessories. It appears some varnish or True Oil has been put on your stock which would not be the original arsenal finish (Linseed Oil). Your serial number, 425522, would place your rifle in late 1902 production. The earlier stock, with its 1901 'cartouche', could have been put on your rifle during an arsenal rebuild when parts got refurbished and switched around. Your stock is an Italian Walnut one. These blanks were purchased in 1899 and 1900 at a time when cured American Black Walnut was in short supply. The finished Italian Walnut stocks usually have 1899 and 1900 'cartouche' dates, from my observation. You have a nice rifle. Enjoy your Krag and welcome to the KCA forum.

Ken Knox

Post by Ken Knox »

Thanks for the information. The bayonet is either nickle or chrome plated. The rivets are plain steel. It appears to be the original finish. Would this be considered unusual?

Ken

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I would suspect the plating on your bayonet indicates some VFW use (Not a U.S. arsenal measure). This would be a detraction for collectability. IMHO

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Man, someone sure worked over the sight ladder.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Fortunately, 1901 rear sights are relatively easy to find.

I love the look of those Italian Walnut stocks... much lighter and not as red as the American Black Walnut.

Welcome to the forum, Ken... and to the wonderful world of Krags! You are in very good company!

Ken Knox

Post by Ken Knox »

I thought the rear sight looked pretty crude. I didnt know if thats just the way they were made. The only american firearm I have for comparison is a 1884 springfield trapdoor and it is much better. I will see about replacing it.
I was hoping the bayonet was a kadet version.

Ken

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

There was nothing crude about US. Krags and their parts as they left the arsenal.Image

Ken Knox

Post by Ken Knox »

Upon closer inspection I see the sight ladder on my rifle has been broken off and welded back on. Also someone has taken a file to it. It looks like it was bent and after straightening they filed off the remaining high points. I will be replacing it as soon as I find a good quality one for sale.

Ken