Extractor cut on barrel

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
FredC

Extractor cut on barrel

Post by FredC »

Rebarreling a sporter to 35/30/40 Krag. I have just cut the threads and was setting up to do the extractor cut. I just took my first close look at the old barrel and found the cut has a radius on the bottom of the groove. The slot itself is not centered and the radius on the bottom is not centered. I measured the radius on the extractor and it is 13/64 and matches the radius in the bottom of the slot.
The cut is at a 34 degree angle, so I have that down. Has any one here done this before and know what the offset from center for the cut is? Is the same offset used for the radius?
The offset or offsets have to do with allowing the extractor to get full purchase on the rim, so the appear to be relatively important. I found an old key slot cutter that I am modifying to 2 working teeth. It would save me a lot of time if someone could help with these numbers.
Also anyone here have a 35/40 with a saami chamber? Any pet loads using Varget or IMR4064?
Thanks.

FredC

Re: Extractor cut on barrel

Post by FredC »

After I posted this I gave the extractor a hard look put it back on the bolt. It was a piece of cake getting the offset measurements off the extractor.
For anyone else rebarreling a Krag, the offset of extractor cut is .029 to .030" or .75mm. The radius on the exctractor is in the middle of the case when everything is assembled so the offset of the radius is the same. A person could put a flat bottomed cut in the barrel but it would have to be a little deeper. This would probably be safe as the case is very thick in that are and unlikely to blow out.