Troubleshooting new 98 Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
GBertolet

Troubleshooting new 98 Krag

Post by GBertolet »

I recently aquired a sporterized 98 Krag with an offset scope. I am having minor issues with this rifle and would appreciate some troubleshooting advise. First issue, there is no magazine cutoff on this rifle. In reading posts on this forum about receiver sights, it indicates the previous owner might of had a no gunsmith receiver sight on at one time. Is replacing this cutoff necessiary? Secondly, the ejector does not work. Spent cases are extracted fine, but the ejector barely knocks them loose from the extractor. I don't think there is an adjustment. Possibly because of the scope, the previous owner modified it in some way. Is just replacing it the proper fix? Finally the trigger. Mine is of horrible pull weight, with lots of first stage travel, far more than my other Krag. OK for battlefield use, but lousey for sporting use. Has anyone tried eliminating the first stage, such as building up the trigger linkage with TIG, to take the slack out, or something similar? I have already replaced the sear spring with some improvement on the pull weight. The sporterization ruined the collector value, so all I am interested in having a nice shooter to use with cast bullets.

gunboat57

Re: Troubleshooting new 98 Krag

Post by gunboat57 »

Can you take a sharp closeup picture of what your ejector looks like when the bolt is pulled fully to the rear? I'll post a picture of what my un-modified ejector looks like and we can compare.

I know that unless I pull back smartly, empties more or less dribble out of the action on my two Krags.

Here's mine:
img

(Isn't it amazing how rusty a rifle looks in a flash picture even though it's oiled and well taken care of? I'm embarrassed.)
Tom P.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

GBertolet: The magazine cut-off slot acts like a 'speed bump' to cartridge rims when no cut-off shaft is present. I would recommend shopping for one, $15 or less, and putting it on your Krag. The ejector on the Krag is never very aggressive which is nice for bench rest shooting. I suspect a TIG weld or silver solder could be used to build up the 'lump' on the rear of the ejector where it is activated by the bolt. It would be a 'build, shape and try' process. If you are successful, you become the KCA resident expert! I would recommend you shop for a replacement ejector and trigger/sear on ebay or gunbroker. These parts often go quite cheap and it's good to have spares. Replacement is often the easiest fix. Take a good look at your cocking-piece where it contacts the sear to make sure it is not part of the problem. Lots of people mess with triggers & sears and make them worse. I prefer a 2 stage trigger as long as the stages are smooth. Lots of Krags have nice 2 stage triggers, especially when degreased and properly lubricated.

GBertolet

Post by GBertolet »

Here is a photo of my ejector. For the magazine cut off, is there a spring and plunger to go with it also?Image

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

The ejector appears normal. Looks like your ejection problem is caused by the bolt retractor. If you can alter the bolt retractor to apply a modicum of acceleration at the end of the retraction cycle, ejection should become satisfactory. (The technical term for your rifle's bolt retractor is "GBertolet".)

GBertolet

Post by GBertolet »

In other words, yank the bolt back harder?

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

"Smartly"

Don't worry about damaging the bolt stop, it's pretty rugged.

And yes, the magazine cut-off has a little spring and plunger, both of which are easy to lose in the carpet.
Tom P.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Normally, the magazine cut-off has its spring and plunger staked into place and remains together as a unit. There is no reason to take the unit apart. An 1898 Krag uses the bottom cut-off in the photo, although all styles can work in a U.S. Krag.Image

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Unless you're adept with small tools, you don't want to buy a cutoff that you'd need to stake a spring and plunger in. Some rifles work ok without the cutoff shaft, some don't.

GBertolet

Post by GBertolet »

I was looking on Ebay and found a magazine cutoff from a 96 Krag. The seller said in the description it would not fit a 98. Is that true, or are the different styles unique to specific years?