waterman

Re: Hadji Has a Krag

Post by waterman »

And barefoot!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hmmmm Barefooted and turbin headed... Boy oh boy would I be a sight! LOL

Now a fez... THAT's an idea! Steely Dan has a song called The Fez - "Don't never want to do it without the fez on..." Of course, I think Donald Fagen and Walter Becker were referring to something else - a latex hat for a different part of the body! LOL

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Great Paul, now I feel dirty about Camp Perry.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

:D ;D

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Hi Paul,

Along with the fez...I think the Kris sword would be necessary to truly complete the ensemble...here's a beauty that you could own for the right price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Fine-19th-Century-Moro-Kris-Sword-Not-dagger-knife-Antique/233438023884?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

My understanding is that the more waves, up the length of the sword, indicate the owners standing in the pecking order food chain...and this one has waves going all the way to the top!

Hey, as an after thought, maybe you can call your Krag competition rifle "Steely Dan" and have the name engraved on the receiver or carved in the stock. Sure would make you stand out from the rest...or maybe they wouldn't want to be around a guy with a rifle named "Steely Dan" :-/

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

LOL. I think naming a rifle after "Steely Dan" would be as acceptable as wearing a "Fez" of the kind Steely Dan was referring to on my head (after all, the band was named after the revolutionary steam powered dildo mentioned in writer William S. Burroughs novel Naked Lunch)! :D

The sword would be awesome though... wish I had the money. Of course, if I had that much money, I'd have a few more Krags! ;)

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Warriors and Constabulary rifles with a couple prisoners.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It would be fun to have an hour to examine the 7 or 8 Constabulary Rifles in this photo and make some notes!
(The Moro attired 'scout' appears to have a Krag on his shoulder).

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

By golly, I think you're right. The scout appears to have the butt end of Krag facing the camera on his right shoulder. You can see a shadow where the toe curls in, otherwise, it shows up in the photo as "white". (The scout is standing to the right of the two captors with dark shirts, in case anybody is wondering.)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

BTW - The two prisoners are restrained with leg-shackles.

The armed man, in full-length native garb, must be a head-man, spy, or scout.

I wonder if the man on the left, sort of 'peeking in', is an officer?
His face appears European and his Mill's web gear seems to have 'pockets'.
He is wearing his Fez 'quite jaunty'. I wish we could see his Feet & Legs; that would tell all!

Neat photo! I haven't seen it before. Thanks for posting, Knute.