Rear Sight Idea for Older Eyes

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
gunboat57

Rear Sight Idea for Older Eyes

Post by gunboat57 »

I was happy to get a 1902 rear sight to mount on my second Krag sporter. But after a few trips to the range I had to admit that the notch was just too small for me to use. Using an aperture on my glasses helped a bit but even so I couldn't be sure of a good sight picture.

So here's what I'm working on:
img

That's a Williams rear sight made to be installed in place of the sight leaf of the M96 Swedish Mauser. In the 1902 base it fits with only about .010" of side to side looseness which could be shimmed. The windage adjustment "ears" of the Williams sight stick out a bit too far for me to lower the sight more than the picture shows. But if needed I could trim those ears a bit in order to lower the sight.

Bottom line is it's a barrel-mounted aperture sight that requires no permanent modification to the 1902 sight. And I know it will work for me because I used to have it mounted on my Swede and was able to shoot consistantly with no problems.
Tom P.

grogel

Re: Rear Sight Idea for Older Eyes

Post by grogel »

Good Job. I was just thinking about how one of the Marlin sights that Skinner Sights make could be adapted to a Krag bolt sleeve, kind of like a Rice.

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

Just got back from the range. With the WM-96 sight as low as it goes, commercial Win 30-40 ammo hits right at POA at 50 yards. I was able to tighten my groups a bit, too. It's a lot easier for me to use.

Now I've got to buy another one to put back on my Swede Mauser. :)
Tom P.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I'm not going as far as you since I'm shooting in Vintage matches, but I did do a couple things to help the sight picture on my 92/96. First I increased the width of the front blade to .080" by putting a few wraps of aluminum tape around the blade and trimming the tape to the same height as the blade. I then painted the aluminum tape. Between the glue and the paint it ought to stay on there. I also very carefully opened up the aperture of the rear sight to .062" wide and deepened it to a depth of .032" with a round file, giving the notch more of U shape. At the .062" width I am able to see a small band of light on each side of the front sight stud which helps me get centered a little better as I draw the blade down into the notch. I'll let you know if it helps me any at Camp Perry. Oh, it was a 1902 sight that I opened the aperture of.