Non lead hunting loads

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Rands

Re: Non lead hunting loads

Post by Rands »

In relation to the use of Winchester 760 powder for the .30-40 Krag, I have used the data provided from a Winchester Components Catalog, dated 2001. The catalog has two loads listed for both the 180 grain and 220 grain bullets. The 180 grain load lists 44.5 grains of 760, for a velocity of 2380, and pressure of 37,000 CUP.

The 220 grain load lists 40.5 grains of 760, for a velocity of 2070 fps, and pressure of 36,000 CUP. I have not tried the 180 grain load, but the 220 seems to fill the bill, with the exception of "non-toxic" bullets.

The data provided by the forum members concerning different powders, and the use of lighter monolithic bullets is most helpful, and I certainly have a great deal of homework to do, when trying to establish a Condor Compliant load.

Thank you all.

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

You guys need to vote Polese Waters and a few others out of office!That would help all of America!
Rant mode off, sorry, Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

RPRNY

Post by RPRNY »

I think the issue is trying to use the big 200 gr Barnes. It may well have trouble stabilizing. As you note, the pure copper design makes these bullets longer relative to weight vs lead core bullets.

Use the the 168 gr or 180 gr TSX. The expansion of the Barnes at lower velocities has improved tremendously in the last decade. If you are very concerned, use the TTSX, polymer tip. The polymer tip will guarantee good expansion at even at fairly low terminal velocities. I use the Barnes 180 gr TSX in a M49 Persian Mauser (18.5" barrel) with Varget delivering only about 2350 MV and it has been very effective on large hogs out to 100 yds (longest shots I have taken). Working up loads I had good (for me) accuracy at 200 yds - @ 3" - 3.5" groups. I am very impressed with the TSX bullets.