Looking at my 1st Krag, help appreciated!

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
artyldr01

Looking at my 1st Krag, help appreciated!

Post by artyldr01 »

Good Morning,

I have been collecting milsurps for a while but this is my first foray into the Krag world. I am looking at an 1899 Krag Carbine and would love some advice. I haven't received my Poyer book yet so anything you can advise.

SN: 349836

Doesn't appear cut down

Can't read the cartouche but also has circular stamp under wrist that I can't quite make out.

Barrel band has "U" with the top facing the front sight.

There is some scratches on both sides of the muzzle under the front sight, not sure if is just storage wear being leaned up in a safe or something questionable.

It is on consignment for $1000. I am contemplating trading a April 1942 Remington M1903 that has had it's stock sporterized and is too expensive to get the right stock and hardware for.

Is this Krag something to jump on immediately, just an average deal or run away and hide? Thanks from a first time newbie!

CPT Niels Hansen
US ArmyImageImageImageImageImage

artyldr01

Re: Looking at my 1st Krag, help appreciated!

Post by artyldr01 »

Here are a couple more photos.

Any information on date of manufacture, details that confirm or deny what this is, is also appreciated!

NielsImageImageImageImageImage

artyldr01

Post by artyldr01 »

Ok...I should slow down and take a breath. I just realized there are no sling swivels...so the stock was at least refinished/altered (probably explains faint cartouches).

artyldr01

Post by artyldr01 »

Hmmm...so now I understand carbines didn't have sling swivels and that the 1899 might not have a saddle ring either...and I though collecting foreign weapons was challenging...I'm going to take a bigger breath and drink more coffee. :)

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

1899s did not have sling swivels as made, but some have had them added. No 1899 ever had a saddle ring. Most collectors prefer their 1899s to be configured as you show. Condition is your only issue with that piece, there is nothing "wrong" parts-wise.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

artyldr01: That is a correct 1899 Carbine, parts-wise. Some of the scratching at the muzzle could have been caused by a carbine front sight protector. The $1,000 price tag is fair, if the bore condition is very good. The circle mark behind the trigger guard is a 'script P' indicating the arm was arsenal proofed. An experienced Krag collector could probably make out the date in the Cartouche 'box'. I'm traveling and don;t have references with me, from memory, I think it should be 1901. It is a nice looking carbine. The outside metal is good, screws are not buggered up, the wood could be arsenal 're-furbish'. (I'm partial to 1899 Carbines).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

artyldr01: 1899 Carbine #349,836 was likely produced in October 1901. The 'humped' hand-guard was accepted in 1902, so many 1899 carbines were later updated with this sight protecting hand-guard. (This could have easily been done in the field). The acceptance 'cartouche' has the initials J.S.A. in script (for J.S. Adams) and a year. 1901 would be likely, but Krag stocks were easily changed and mismatches are common. Attached is a picture showing a Carbine front sight protector (which may cause some muzzle wear).Image

artyldr01

Post by artyldr01 »

Well I got my copy of Poyer's book today. The scratches definitely look like site protector damage. I have to go back an look but the grainy photo I took of the top of the rear sight appears to have a "c" on it. Overall a pretty nice example. I'm goin to give the shop my contact info and a $700 offer for the consigner due to the sanded stock and finish. It seems Brophy's data quoted on the weband Poyers conflict regarding dates but if Poyer is right and this one was made in Oct 1901 (my birth month) it would be cool having a firearm 69 years older than me!

I'll pos pics when I can get my computer back an give my daughter her Kindle!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Take Krag production dates with a grain of salt. It is my understanding, that Krag Receivers were serial numbered before heat-treating, and put in parts bins when all operations were done. Rifles and Carbines were not completed in sequence by serial #. Also, many Krags have been 'refurbished' officially and unofficially. I find the Poyer book handy and useful. Some KCA members detest the book. Mention of it has been known to incite diatribes! I like Mallory, Brophy, and Poyer's efforts. It would really be useful to have an 'errata' guide that points out discovered mistakes and false assumptions by all authors. "I don't have a dog in this fight". I am not intending to write a Krag book. I just enjoy Krags and learning about them. I learn from my mistakes. I learn from other people's mistakes. We should all try to communicate clearly and politely. I would again caution that the bore condition, of the 1899 Carbine you are considering, is important in setting a value.Image

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

My $.02. I'd think not. A replacement stock for your 03 is available from CMP about $160 with pistol grip?
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson