Used Krag I bought

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
The big guy

Used Krag I bought

Post by The big guy »

I am a collector of WW2 guns and I bought a Danish Krag, I think. Anyway of verifying this with gun details? Also, Is there ammo out there for this guy? Drew

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Used Krag I bought

Post by Ned Butts »

What are the markings on the side of the receiver? Short of pictures a detailed description and measurements of barrel and stock etc. Go to the KCA home page and look at the photo section and see if yours matches anything there.
If it is a Dane the ammo is quite scarce and expensive (but what isn't these days!!) reloading or small company custom loading are your options.

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

Drew, welcome to the forum of the Krag-afflicted!

We'd like to see some pictures when you can post 'em.

The Danish Krags had the side loading door hinged at the front instead of along the bottom edge. So the Danes opened more like a people door instead of like a mailbox door.

If I'm not mistaken, if it's a Dane, it is probably in 8X58R Danish caliber. Can you check the bore diameter at the muzzle by seeing if an 8mm bullet will stick in? The Norwegian Krags were in 6.5X55, like the Swedish Mausers.

And now I'm really at the limit of my knowledge, if it's a Dane, the barrel should be enclosed in a jacket all the way to the muzzle, kinda like the 1888 German Commission rifles. I'm not sure if all Danes were that way but I don't think any other nationalities were.

By the way, if it is a Dane in 8X58R Danish, brass and dies are available. I have a Swedish Rolling Block in that caliber that I reload for.
Tom P.

RPRNY

Post by RPRNY »

Buffalo Arms have both loaded ammo and brass with various headspace options available. Not exactly cheap...

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Or cases can be made from 45/90. Midway has Starline brand 45/90 in stock now. Dies? Check with CH4D.