Has anyone installed a Criterion Barrel on a Krag?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Keith Herrington

Re: Has anyone installed a Criterion Barrel on a Krag?

Post by Keith Herrington »

David Sams is my gunsmith and meticulous doesn't even begin to describe his approach. If there are any problems he won't proceed with the work. I slugged the barrel and it came out .310" - .311, so I'll still have to use 303 British bullets. But since I'm loading 303 and 7.65 Argentine as well, logistically it's not an issue. The bore is nice and straight, the blue is deep and even and the front sight is very nicely installed. And the rear sight holes are aligned with the front sight and the extractor cut. Now, if the barrel times properly when tight, it should produce good accuracy, assuming of course the chamber is properly cut. Lots to think about, but that's why I want Sams to do the work. He has already rebarreled his own Krag so this is familiar to him. Finally, I still have the Criterion barrel on order from CMP and will have David set that one up for installation as well. That way if the Numrich barrel doesn't perform as expected, the Criterion can be used.
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

Keith Herrington

Post by Keith Herrington »

Well, at long last I've received my Criterion barrel from CMP. Drilled for rear sight and dovetailed for front sight base, in the white and short chambered. Sent to my gunsmith for him to decide which gets installed, the one I received from Numrich or this one. The Numrich came ready to install with front base and blade installed, but with a .311" bore. No problem really since I reload for 7.65X53mm and 303 British. I'll let you all know what gets installed and how it shoots.
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

. . . in the white and short chambered. . .

Statements like this (which also appears on the Criterion website) always make me wonder exactly how one produces a "short chambered" Krag barrel since the breech end is flat (except the extractor mortise) and the cartridge is a rimmed design. Can someone please explain precisely which dimension is "short" on these barrels?
img

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I should know better than to get into such a technical point with you (grin) but I'm guessing it is not the "what" that is at issue (simple enough to just not run the reamer in quite far enough) but the "why". I imagine it is a bit of added "fluff" to make their product seem superior, by letting their customer set it up as tight as possible. Just because a (bottle-necked) case is supposed to headspace on the rim doesn't mean it cannot actually be stopped at the neck first. Am just talking simple physical fit here, not the dynamics of whether such would be "good" or "bad", but I certainly agree with you that it is an odd tactic. Another thought - do they sell any '06 or .308 barrels? Perhaps they cloned the text and did not notice the non-sequitor?

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Since the Criterion barrel is at hand but not yet installed, the issue of the short chamber could be tested. Just try to put a functioning dummy cartridge into the barrel. If it enters all the way to the rim, the barrel is not short chambered.

I understand the technical reasons for producing short-chambered barrels. But, in our society, short chambering is probably the equivalent of putting a 2-foot long cord on an electrical appliance.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

. . . I'm guessing it is not the "what" that is at issue (simple enough to just not run the reamer in quite far enough) but the "why".

You're right as usual. I was tempted to write "how/why . . . " instead of "how one produces a "short chambered" Krag barrel". Short chambering a Krag barrel just doesn't make sense considering that the SAAMI minimum .30/40 cartridge is some .020" shorter head-shoulder than the minimum chamber and that's not where a rimmed design establishes headspace anyway.

I like reincarnated's approach and am curious to learn if the uninstalled Criterion barrel will accept a new .30/40 case up to the rim.

Bob_S

Post by Bob_S »

Eric,

I have a Criterion barrel still in the shipping tube somewhere up in the rafters of the shop. At some point I will go foraging for it, and let you know ..... Don't hold your breath, tho ... moving kinda slow these days. :)

Resp'y,
Bob S.
USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Bob, great to see you back - "movin kinda slow" sure beats the alternative!

Best wishes,

Dick

Bob_S

Post by Bob_S »

Thanks, Dick.

Picture is a new Criterion 30" barrel with a new, never-been-fired R-P case dropped into the chamber. It drops easily to the rim, so you don;t need no stinkin' reamer to install a Criterion barrel. Note that the extractor groove is already milled, and the sight screw holes are drilled (albeit not the correct size) ... so I hope those folks at Criterion got the timing of the breech threads right!!!

img

Resp'y,
Bob S.
USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

That pretty much settles the question. Thanks, Bob!