Has anyone installed a Criterion Barrel on a Krag?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone installed a Criterion Barrel on a Krag?

Post by Ned Butts »

Bob,
Got a loaded 220 Rn., how does that fit? I just saw posted some where a similar thread, (I think related to carbine/sporter) and some one suggested to ream the chamber for 150's or 180's. Could the throat (?) be left short for final fit?

Bob_S

Post by Bob_S »

Ned,

I have no idea what Criterion uses for a reamer, but I'll bet dollars to Navy beans that it is a one-piece and has a throater for the 220 grain service load. Just like the 6.5 Sweed ... if you buy a reamer from Clymer, you're stuck with that damned long throat for the old 160 grain RN service load, even if you all you want to shoot is 139 grain Lapua BT. I learned that the hard way.

I will pull the barrel back out of the rafters and take some Stoney Point readings of the throat. Yes, I have the special case for 30-40, and I'm pretty certain I have a small stash of Hornady 220 grain SP's from about 45 years ago.

Based on that quick test with the empty case, I would not run a finish reamer into the chamber for any reason. If it turns out that the throat is shorter than desired (doubtful), a separate throater would be in order. I did this with one of my K31's and it made a world of difference. (Shhhh. Don't tell anyone on the Swiss boards. I'll be keelhauled!)

Resp'y,
Bob S.
USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Thanks Bob, sorry to make you go digging again!! Just curious how they can call the barrels short chambered, unless they have made changes lately. You know to avoid digging the barrel out of the rafters again you could just send it ti me to "hold on to"! ;D

Bob_S

Post by Bob_S »

Ned,

No problem, this has piqued my curiosity.

And the answer is .....

This is a Hornady 220 grain SP gently pushed to the lands of the new Criterion 30" barrel with a Stoney Point gauge . This indicates that I would be able to load "long" without doing a thing to the throat.

img

It would be nice to compare with an "as new" Springfield barrel. The closest thing I have without digging through several safes is No. 8828, an 1892 with modifications of 1896. The bore and throat look "as new" to my naked and aging eyes. Here is that same Hornady 220 grain SP pushed gently to the lands in No.8828:

img

The throat is slightly longer. How many rounds has been put through this tube is unknown to me, but probably not many, at least not in Whistler-Aspinwal days. Contemporary powders had high nitroglycerin content and would "eat" throats much more rapidly than we modernfolk are used to. I purchased this rifle some years ago from a long-ago retired Air Corps officer. I didn't quiz him about his use of it. The interesting things about this particular rifle are the M1901 sight with large aperture, handguard and front sight that look like they "belong", not like they were added some long time after the rifle left government ownership, it came with an original (not reprpo) muzzle cover, and a nice 1942-dated Boyt M1907 sling, obvously used, but not abused and well cared for. The groove diameter of this barrel is .3094".

Resp'y,
Bob S.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The interesting thing is, I asked someone at Criterion at one point last year, and I seem to recall being told that they were sold "finish reamed" and ready to fire after installation because there is no headspace issue. Obviously a Garand must be reamed and timed with the bolt to headspace properly... but as everyone has already stated, the Krag headspaces on the rim.

On a side note, I find it interesting that Criterion Krag barrels come "in the white" while Garand barrels come parkerized.

Bob_S

Post by Bob_S »

P.S. The Criterion barrel that I have was purchased from CMP about two years ago.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

The likely explanation for the erroneous Criterion website copy is that it was written by some geek who knew squat about either Krags or their barrels. Poor Webfoot just assumed they would be chambered like their .30/06 barrels.
[hr]
30-40 Krag

Original .30-40 Krag contour in rifle length (30") and carbine length (22"). These barrels have the receiver threads cut and timed. Holes are drilled and tapped for the rear sight (8-32). Both the extractor cut milled and front dovetail are milled. Furnished in the white, these barrels are short chambered and ready to be installed by a qualified gunsmith.

http://criterionbarrels.com/ProductPages/30-40Krag.html