Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
madsenshooter

Re: Sight Offset Question

Post by madsenshooter »

Yes, not a Numrich barrel.

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

I think Dick was right about whoever did the front sight. They cut the dovetail without really paying attention to the position of the rear sight.

Can anyone recommend a good source for a 1903A3 front sight base and blade?
Tom P.

DocCasualty

Post by DocCasualty »

'03 sights are widely available. eBay currently has at least a few listed. Google brings up multiple hits, e.g. - http://www.fulton-armory.com/frontsightbasewithpostverygoodtoexcellentcondition.aspx
NRA Life Member

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

Here are a couple pics of my rear sight:
img
img

The Fulton Armory seems like a good source, thanks. I've added it to my Favorites List for gun parts.
Tom P.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

gunboat57: You may have to lathe turn your 24" Krag barrel and have a 'step' machined on the muzzle area to allow a 1903 Springfield front sight band to be fitted. It is unlikely the 1903 front sight band will just slip on. Once in place, the difference in diameter of the barrel, in front of and behind the '03 base, will not be noticeable.

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

I was thinking about that step. The end of my barrel mics at .642" dia. I read somewhere online that the end of the 1903A3 barrels were .645" dia. where the sight fit on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a 1903A3 sight may be a line to line fit or slightly loose. In a couple weeks I'll get the parts and we'll see.

I almost forgot to mention, at first I was considering using the band front sight from a No1 MkIII Lee Enfield. That definitely would've required turning a little off the diameter at the end of the barrel.
Tom P.

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

I received my 1903A3 front sight base from Numrich today. It looks like it was taken off a rifle by a gorilla with a sledge hammer but I can pretty it up. Best of all, it slips on with just a little twisting and covers up the dovetail in the barrel completely.

img
img

I will probably fill in the dovetail with JB Weld. I forgot that the 1903A3 retaining pin engaged a separate key that fit into the top of the barrel. So to retain the sight base I think I'll drill a retaining pin hole like on the 1903 front sight base.
Tom P.

DocCasualty

Post by DocCasualty »

Looks like it's coming together. Are you going to cold blue the sight?
NRA Life Member

gunboat57

Post by gunboat57 »

Yeah, I will polish it up and cold blue it, probably many applications, to try to match the barrel color. I have a product that produces a finish that's almost black: "Blue Wonder Gun Black". I've gotten good results with it before.

Thinking again about how to attach the sight base, maybe I could just use solder like on the front sight bases of many Mausers. The fit is close enough I should get a good bond. In that case, of course, I won't even try to fill in the dovetail.
Tom P.

tanker

Post by tanker »

I have had good results using silver solder when a close fit is present. I believe with your situation I would first fill in the dovetail and file shape it, then fit the band and sweat it on. Filling the void should reduce muzzle flex when firing to a minimum. Brownell's sells a low melt temp silver solder compound that I have had very controllable and satisfactory results with.