Reproduction Krags?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
reincarnated

Reproduction Krags?

Post by reincarnated »

The post about the production cost of a Krag back in 1898 got me thinking. With all the reproduction of old rifles today & in the recent past, has anyone made a Krag? And if so, what would one cost today?

mussonor

Re: Reproduction Krags?

Post by mussonor »

I've been thinking the same for the Norwegian krag.
Back in 1894 the production cost were NOK63.50.
Price offered by Springfield when we (Norway) were looking for foreign supply that ended into that Steyr made krags were $15 each.
The inflation ratio for Norway from 1894 up to now is that it is 68,63 times the number/cost in 1894. This is NOK 4358,-, or $783 at current exchangeratio.
Repro will not be any close to the mass production that these were made under for over 100 years ago.
I visited a CNC-machine factory in Germany recently. They were tuning in a 8-axis millingmachine (Twinn mill/turn machine) for one of the to days modern rifels Complete machining took 45 minutes for the receiver alone. Average rough machinecost is NOK1000/houer for an CNC, so just for the "simple" receiver there is quick $125. Then all the other tricky parts.
Low volume reproduction of a norwegian krag, no less then $5000 as a rough guess.

Doug D

Post by Doug D »

I've read that the receiver was the most complex that Springfield Armory ever made. If I remember right it took 121 separate machining steps to produce.

I imagine that would make reproductions rather expensive to manufacture.

david frank

Post by david frank »

krags were really best rifflles in the past as there is need of reorganizing
them according to current development and some changes in its shape
to made amodern gun.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I've read that the receiver was the most complex that Springfield Armory ever made. If I remember right it took 121 separate machining steps to produce.

I imagine that would make reproductions rather expensive to manufacture.

My thought is that perhaps performing a LOT of the work by the investment casting process might make it feasible. They started with a solid billet, and everything was cut with tools. We could avoid much of that, but it would still be expensive, and I'm not sure the market is really there. Just troll Gunbroker - there are some pretty nice rifles, at less than a repro would cost, sitting unsold.