Something Really Interesting

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
xring3

Re: Something Really Interesting

Post by xring3 »

Now the question is.....where is the scope? :-?
"No man was more foolish when he had not a pen in his hand, or more wise when he had."  Samuel Johnson

Keith Herrington

OK, what type of scope should I mount

Post by Keith Herrington »

About that. I too like the term "neo-classic". Since the Lyman/Unertl external adjustment scopes are traditionally viewed as pre-war technology, what do you all think about mounting a Redfield 3200? Same basic overall look and mounts except with internal adjustments.
Keith
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

If the mounts are high enough for that big objective bell, I'd love either the 16 or 24x. Of course if the mounting blocks aren't high enough, I'm sure you could find a higher set. Something to check, once you get it, is the throat. It may have been cut for spitzers rather than the long roundnose. I have a 30-40 chamber reamer around here that appears to have been made to cut such a throat.

http://unertl.alexweb.net/unertl2021.htm

Keith Herrington

Well, I got my new rifle today

If anything it looks better in person than it does in the pictures. You'll notice the large head slotted screw in the bottom of the stock. Apparently that goes into the bottom of the receiver. The rifle is glass bedded from the magazine box to approximately mid-way between the two scope blocks. It's free floating from there to the tip of the forearm. A dollar bill will fit but not a thin cloth. Very close fit. The barrel is stamped G R Douglas XX for Premium Grade. The trigger letoff is about 1.5 pounds, single stage with no slack or overtravel at all.

img
img
img
img

The rear sight mount covers up all but the first three digits of the serial number, 188. The last three are visible only if I remove the mount.

Last, would you all look at the scope mount blocks and identify them for me? Are they Unertl, Lyman, Feckler or some other brand?

Keith
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I have to admit, I know very little about such mounts. I did find that there are two main types, illustrated at the link above (homepage, bottom left, click). Maybe you could contact that fellow with some measurements.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

That front scope block does not look like anything I have seen before. And both blocks have slightly concave upper surfaces. Are what is now the bottom surfaces, against the barrel, also concave?

I found my notebook with scope block notes. Measurements refer to the width of blocks. All blocks are flat on top, concave on bottom.

Winder #1, both blocks 0.465" and Winder #2, both blocks 0.464". Unertl fits. Fecker requires shims. Lyman STS is too loose. My Unertl has the split Posa-type mount.

H&R 5200, both blocks 0.478". Only Unertl fits. Blocks are too wide for others.

Remington 513T, both blocks 0.471". All scopes fit.

Eric Johnson Ballard, front block 0.473", rear 0.464". All scopes fit.

Winchester Low Wall, rear block 0.475", front 0.471". All scopes fit.

Winchester High Wall, rear block 0.475", front 0.478". Only Unertl fits.

I do not know anything about a Redfield 3200, but maybe that is the answer. That said, block width is probably the limiting factor as to what brand of scope can be mounted. If they will slide on and can be made reasonably tight, they will probably be OK. Do not try shims with anything that recoils a lot.

Steve Earle Products makes all sorts of scope blocks. I think he has a website. Do not have an address.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Seriously, these blocks are the standard 3/8" dovetail used with a wide variety of classic target scope mounts. The idea that some blocks and mounts were made or modified out of spec doesn't alter the fact that they were designed to be interchangeable among various brands.

Hey, don't believe me, read Brownells' catalog copy at http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/scope-bases/rifle-bases/target-scope-bases-prod12730.aspx?avs|Style_1=Target%20Scope%20Base

img

"Versatile, steel bases accept target front sights and external adjustment scopes from Redfield, Lyman, Unertl and others that require a 3/8" dovetail base. Contoured bottom radius provides a tight, solid fit to barrel, prevents side movement, and ensures base is aligned squarely with receiver. Does not fit Redfield external adjustment scopes."

The concave upper surface is a nice, classic touch designed to provide added visual clearance when low-mounted irons are used with the scope removed. Here's a set factory-installed on a classic Winchester M70 Target model. So far, I've used them with Lyman, Litschert, and Unertl mounts, encountering no problems.

img

The extra-long front base features two locking positions, intended to enable the shooter to choose the longer inter-mount distance when smaller click-values were desired, and vice-versa.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Id take his word for it. In Parashooter I trust. Haven't seen him have to back paddle any yet!

Keith Herrington

Well, I took the gun to the range and shot it at 200 yds. I used a lead bullet load made up for my Krag Rifle that has a .310"-.311" bore. It's a 220 grain Beartooth RN lead GC bullet over 30 grains of IMR4895 with a Federal Match primer. The cases are new WW fully match prepped (sized, trimmed, chamfered, and primer pockets uniformed). You are looking at 2 three-shot groups with a sight change in between. The V ring is about 4" across.

img

Next up will be a selection of jacketed bullets from 175 to 220 grains.

Keith
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

That's good for the first time out, especially at 200yds.