My 1894 Sporterized

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Rod

Re: My 1894 Sporterized

Post by Rod »

Although we have had Granddad's krag in the family my whole life, my knowledge about the weapon was limited to knowing it was originally a military weapon. I didn't even know till a few years ago that any peeps were made for this gun. How available is the lyman drill sight? I've been watching ebay, gunbroker & guns america for a year now (for krap peep) and have not noticed that type lyman coming up for auction. I does appeal to me to be able to keep the cut off in place, although for practical purposes I wouldn't be using the cut off; but when you elevate the williams it seems a little loose which is why I wanted to replace it with a better quality peep. As far as the stock goes I thought I could hopefully modify it without spoiling the looks drastically. Now the for end stock issue you brought up, my brother was just duplicating somewhat the style of stock mount that was on this gun when I bought it. So now it seems I'll need to address this issue on the for end. If someone has photos that show this type of modification for a sporterized stock I would greatly appreciate seeing them. I would like to do something that doesn't detract to much or maybe even makes it look better and function better. Any ideas again would be really appreciated. Thanks again for the pointers.

Rod

Post by Rod »

Thanks gnoahhh! And imagine that, I don't even need a photo to visualize the process and everything mechanical is hidden without any visual detraction. Excellent idea!! ;) Many heads are definitely much better than one. How did we ever get along without the Internet and forums like this that enables us to pool and share a wealth of knowledge.

Rod

Post by Rod »

Rod: Your brother did a very nice job re-stocking your Krag. I don't see any point in changing the William's peep sight for a 'No Drill'. You would really mess up the left side of your stock. Lyman did make a 'drill' to mount sight, that went on the same spot as the William's, that was quite attractive. (I doubt the holes would match). I would recommend that you have your barrel anchored to the forearm with a screw or barrel-band. Otherwise, in time, the stock will probably crack behind the magazine gate and side-plate. If only the trigger-guard screws are holding the barreled-action to the stock, that is what happens. Upon firing, the barrel rises and torques that area unless held down in the barrel channel. Your Krag would look lovely with a bead-blast matt blued finish.

The more I think about it, the better I like the idea of a lyman right side mount since it will cover the williams holes if they don't match up. Did some research and Lyman 57K appears to be the one made for krags. Found a parts one on gun broker, just need to find a complete one; search is on!! Was ready to snipe a redfield 70KT on ebay today, but just nixed that idea.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Rod: There is a Redfield peep sight for the Krag on ebay. If you search ebay for "Krag" you should find it.Image

Rod

Post by Rod »

Thanks butlersrangers, I was focused on lyman 57k; didn't know redfield made the right mount also. My esnipe bid is in place. Computer was on vacation a couple days, playing catch up now. Thanks again for the heads up. ;)

Rod

Post by Rod »

Rod: There is a Redfield peep sight for the Krag on ebay. If you search ebay for "Krag" you should find it.

Won the bid last night!! :D Just waiting for it to get here now. Thanks again for the heads up!!! ;)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Rod: I hope that Redfield sight works out real good for you. It's a lot handsomer sight than the Williams. Good Luck!

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Very attractive metal work on this, I like it!
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Rod

Post by Rod »

Thanks for the compliment Steve. The redfield I got won't work without weaking the receiver due to hole location. (To much interference with hole location between redfield and the Williams that is already on it. Also found that I had an adjustment screw that when tightened took out the wobble I was concerened with. So I'm sticking with the Williams.