Norwegian target rifle

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
fullbore

Re: Norwegian target rifle

Post by fullbore »

I found the trigger adjustment. It is in the tang from above, just behind the sear.

You have to remove the bolt to access it. I originally thought it was a rear action screw.

I adjusted it to 1.5mm engagement for safety reasons. There is no "pressure" adjustment as such. The trigger is now single stage and "firm" but crisp and consistent.

I noticed that there is a lot of firing pin protrusion. I used an old case as a "snap cap" and after only three hits the primer had pierced even though there is good radius on the pin. The firing pin spring is extremely strong so I don't think I will be needing multiple hits anyway.

Cheers,

Rob

mussonor

Post by mussonor »

Hi.
This type of adjustment came actually as a fix for a production error made on a batch of receivers round 1900. The fix is the screw that also were introduced later as adjustment screw on private krags.
Made som research for your stock, it is a early Stormoen modell for sharpshooter upgrade of the krag when private peaolpe converted theis krags for sport. The Stormoen krag stok is the design that Kongsberg in 1967 introduced to the Mauser M67 http://www.oldkongsbergarms.com/vaapenbeskrivelser/mausere/M67.html.
You should adjust so the trigger first have a creep, then is engage. (two step)

fullbore

Post by fullbore »

Hi, not much progress on getting the group size below 1.25 inches with the current projectiles.

I just cannot get the trigger to be lighter, even when polished etc. It might have something to do with the increadibly heavy firing pin spring. Presumably for a short lock time.

Are there any commercial adjustable triggers for the Norwegian Krag ?

The trigger looks similar to the Mauser so I might borrow a few types to measure up.

I found the reason why the Schou peep sight is spring loaded ... you can push it upwards to remove the bolt.

This is very handy because when I compete with some clubs they require the bolt removed before leaving the mound.

Cheers,

Rob

diopter

Post by diopter »

Saw one the other day.
What dollar value should a good-v.g. condition one be?

One I saw seems to have a thicker barrel and looks like cut down military stock. Same sights

mussonor

Post by mussonor »

Hi, not much progress on getting the group size below 1.25 inches with the current projectiles.

I just cannot get the trigger to be lighter, even when polished etc. It might have something to do with the increadibly heavy firing pin spring. Presumably for a short lock time.

Are there any commercial adjustable triggers for the Norwegian Krag ?

The trigger looks similar to the Mauser so I might borrow a few types to measure up.

I found the reason why the Schou peep sight is spring loaded ... you can push it upwards to remove the bolt.

This is very handy because when I compete with some clubs they require the bolt removed before leaving the mound.

Cheers,

Rob
For improvment of the trigger, you should get hand on either a match-trigger that danish S&L made for the krag when it was used for competition. Kongsberg did also make a simular trigger. They are not made any more, but do appear time to time in different auction. One store here in Norway hav in their pricelist the trigger for sale (New Old stock I believe). Price is NOK700,-

fullbore

Post by fullbore »

Saw one the other day.
What dollar value should a good-v.g. condition one be?

One I saw seems to have a thicker barrel and looks like cut down military stock. Same sights

Prices here in Australia are much higher than North America.

Also, I think the US market puts a significant premium on original Norwgian Krags over sporters. Even more for a genuine M30 sniper.

That said, it is a very nice target rifle with the S&L barrel and laminated stock. If I can fix the trigger then shooting unsupported could be quite competitive in service rifle competitions.

Cheers,

Rob