Krag carbine or NRA cutdown?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Top Dean

Krag carbine or NRA cutdown?

Post by Top Dean »

I am Trying to find out if my Krag which I just bought is a true Carbine or a NRA cut down. It is a Model 1896 serial number 76342, I can see that there are 4 issue with it being the wrong rear sight, missing handguard, no saddle ring, but does have a plate there, and has a Non-Military butt plate. I would like to know if it is a ture carbine worth restoring to full Military configuration or leave as is and start oking for a true Krag Carbine.

Dick Hosmer

Re: Krag carbine or NRA cutdown?

Post by Dick Hosmer »

The serial number is OK, the sight, handguard, and missing ring can be fixed with money (on that gun I'd recommend NOT trying to get the correct sight for $600; a rifle one would look fine from 5 feet away) but the buttplate issue could be a deal-breaker - if the wood has been so much as touched as to contour, its' not fixable.

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

Thanks for the response, so you are saying the MY Carbine is a true carbine. As for the stock, I know that can and will be a issue, getting a butt plate will not be easy. As for the sight, which one would be the correct one for my Carbine as I want to get it back as close as possible. Also what is the correct band for the stock as the one I have fits flush with the barrel. And how and where can I find the serial number data for the rifle/carbines?

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Not having seen any pictures, I have to assume (since you said there was a plate on the side) that you have the earlier stock which is 30" long. Is that correct?

The proper rear sight would be the 1896C. They are very rare, and usually run around $600 or so. They have also been widely faked, so I do not recommend purchase by a novice. A much better choice would be the common 1896R (rifle) sight which looks identical - only the graduations are different. A special barrel band, with hump, is required. All of those parts are available, though the handguard will have to be a repro.

Without more knowledge (you say the buttplate has been changed) that may be the biggest issue. If anything at all has been done to the stock which would prevent reinstallation of a proper buttplate, it will have to be replaced, and that will not be cheap.

I think the first thing you should do is get Poyer's book on the Krag, for $20. It will answer a lot of your questions. Google "North Cape Publications". All of the parts you need are available - Google "Krag parts", or check out gunbroker.com - and they are not all expensive. The barrel band, sling swivel, rifle sight, and buttplate are common. Assuming your stock is OK at the butt, I'd think you should be able to make the gun LOOK right for around $200-$300.

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

thanks I have tried to attach picture but it drops each time I try to connect. I am will to pay the price for all of the correct part to make it right.Image

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

That picture doesn't tell much, and it's 5X too big. I don't know if a Krag sight will cover that dovetail, but the handguard should. Let's have an overall picture from the left - I'm beginning to not feel good about the "plate" you mentioned. Were you referring to the magazine? Also, how long is the stock?

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

No the plate is on the saddle ring location and is the size of the saddle ring but has no bar or ring on it, is is a smoth plate. I am out of town for now and cant get any pictures of it at the moment. the stock looks correct except it has a non-military one in its place and appears the sock has been fixed one due to some type of issue, i will show you in the pics when i can get them, i have a few now but are too large for this format for them to fit. My bolt is also turnd down next to the stock and not totally sure if that is correct also but have seen pics with both types of bolt handles for the carbine. I was able to order a copy of the book from the web site and is was about $18 with shipping.

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

here are some more detail /over all pictures of my Krag.ImageImageImageImageImage

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Would it be possible to post smaller pictures, in sharp focus?

I hate to say it, but I do not think that gun is worth converting. I can see $1000 easy in fixits, and there wouldn't be much left of what is there now. It would all depend on what you paid for it, I guess.

The stock is severely sanded and/or worn, the comb profile has been ruined, I cannot tell if a military buttplate can still be fitted or not. It's toast. The bolt handle should not be bent, the sight dovetail has damaged the barrel, etc., etc., etc.

This is just one more perfect illustration of why inexperienced or beginning collectors should not buy a gun until they have done at least a little research. Poyer's book is not perfect, but it's a very cheap education - I daresay that after a couple of hours reading, you would never even have picked that gun up, let alone bought it with the idea that it was restorable.

I'm very sorry to have been so blunt.

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

Thanks for the input. I do still plan to restore it even if I have to get repeoduction parts, the hard part is the stock. I have yet to find anyone with a stock other than Boyds and they have not replyed to my request and have heard of a nother member of this fourm that has had a big issue with them so I am still on the hunt for a Model 1896 carbine stock with a butt plate if possible. Any help from any member would be great. I also plane to get one of the 1901/02 site which allow for windage adjustments so if I get the chance to shoot in compatition sometime.