Reproduction carbine stocks

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
fred

Reproduction carbine stocks

Post by fred »

Does anyone know a source for new, carbine stocks besides Boyds? I've purchased a carbine and the metal is in pretty good shape, but the wood is beyond hope. I could buy an original online, but that is such a crap shoot.

Appreciate any help.

fred

psteinmayer

Re: Reproduction carbine stocks

Post by psteinmayer »

If you find something... I would be interested also. I want to put a carbine stock on my cutdown sporter too.

RJH

Post by RJH »

I have not used either of these , but they list krag stocks.

www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com

www.macongunstocks.com

Bob

JOEZ

Post by JOEZ »

Neither Macon or Dunlap make a drop-in stock. Macon stocks require some fitting in the action area and the muzzle end is cut off square so it must be rounded and sanded . They make this to fit a '98 so if you have an earlier one you must do considerable fitting around the bolt handle. Dunlap makes theirs with a big square chunk of unfinished wood just forward of the action. you can find pictures of these at Picaso/Dunlapwoodcraft gallery. I'm always on the lookout for someone who makes a ready to use stock but have not found one yet. Good luck. JOEZ

tanker

Post by tanker »

I have an extra '96 carbine stock that it is semi-inletted. It came from American stocks about 15 yrs ago. Have used a couple of them and they work up nicely, provided final fit and finish is within ones ability. Nice walnut, in character with Krag production wood. Only draw back I've noticed is that the carbine stock is inletted for a Krag rear swivel but no inletting for saddle ring? PM me if interested, guaranteed good deal for members.

geezmo

Post by geezmo »

Try Michael Kokolus from Dushore, Pa. at gunstockduplicating.com , He usually sets up at the Allentown, Pa. shows. Many different stocks, I've seen him with Krags. Didn't look like they required too much work.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

I recently found out that Mike developed cancer and recently passed away. His business has been bought and I spoke with the new owner briefly at the March Harrisburg show. I believe that the new owner is a past employee of Mike's and the work appears to be of the same excellent quality. They are in transition and I an not sure if the contact info remains the same. I picked up a business card but don't have it with me at this time.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Found it
Custom Rifle Stocks www.crscustomriflestocks.com

fred

Post by fred »

For the benefit of anyone following this post:

I am the original poster.

I broke down and purchased a Boyd's stock. I have had great results from Boyd's before but had heard bad things about their Krag stocks. The first stock I received looked like it had been cut-out with a hatchet. I took photos and contacted their customer service. Was finally told to ship it back at my expense which I did. After they looked at it, they agreed. Was then told that a new stock was on the way...again at my expense. I waited three weeks for new stock, but oops! we forgot to ship. Finally got the new stock and it is not too bad, but definitly needs more work than any other stock I have purchased. Paid $15 for initial shipping, $15 to return, and $20 to ship the new stock (seems they raised their price). I complained about all the shipping to customer service, but got no reply. Would not recommend Boyd's Krag stocks.

fred