Buying Krags in the 1900's

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Century2

Buying Krags in the 1900's

Post by Century2 »

Just when did Krags start getting sold to the public? I always thought it was post-WWI? Saw this postcard on ebay with a girl holding a carbine in 1909!Image
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. Theodore Roosevelt

psteinmayer

Re: Buying Krags in the 1900's

Post by psteinmayer »

Awesome picture!!! Thanks for sharing.

waterman

Post by waterman »

One place or another, Ned Roberts wrote about having one before 1900, obtained through the influence of his congressman.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Century2: The postcard was a commercial post-card sized calendar for a wooden box manufacturer. This does not mean the uniform and 1899 (or updated 1898) Krag Carbine were in private hands. A professional photographer and model could probably arrange a "photo op." with a U.S. Army or a State National Guard Unit. Great photo and good question. I wonder if earlier (pre-1898) Krags were sold off when the 1898 & 1899 Krags became "reserve arms"? Hey, I think she's my Grandma! Chuck

mjanway

Post by mjanway »

Interesting subject for post card/calendars. Great stuff. Thanks.

Jack

waterman

Post by waterman »

I did a bit of digging. Townsend Whelen wrote "In the Days of the Krag" and told of the Pennsylvania National Guard getting their first Krags in 1900. That was the first time he saw the rifle. Ned Roberts wrote that his NH National Guard unit got their first Krags in 1907.

Individuals could probably get a Krag before 1914 if they were NRA members and members of a rifle club and team, or if they were politically well connected. In 1914, Congress authorized the sale of Krags to members of the NRA via the DCM. By then, there were enough 1903s in 30-06 caliber to arm the small Army, the Navy and Marines and some of the National Guard units. Some sales were made before 1916 and the Army was sent to the Mexican border, but after that, with involvement in war at least a possibility, sales were stopped.

The 3rd Infantry Regiment of the Illinois National Guard traded in their Krags for Springfields early in 1916, just before they were sent to the Mexican border. But some Texas National Guard units still had Trapdoors in 1917. Not until after 1919 did the Army and National Guard make a concerted effort to get rid of the Krags.