mounting a "scope on my Mod. 1898 Krag.

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Andy

mounting a "scope on my Mod. 1898 Krag.

Post by Andy »

Want to add a scope to the old rifle, so I can see to shoot as my eyes are not what they used to be. Seems as I recall seeing a photo of a Krag sniper rifle with the scope mounted on a side-plate. Is this necessary? how about a standard "drill and install regular rings? preferably for a removabale scope so I can still use the original sights?

cjwils

Re: mounting a "scope on my Mod. 1898 Krag.

Post by cjwils »

I know what you mean. At my age, I can't shoot a decent group anymore without a scope. The classifieds section associated with this forum has a source for scope rails, but I investigated their 3 inch rail, and found that I would need to cut some wood from the top of my model 1898. However, not all 1898s are the same. I understand that some early 1898s had a rear sight from the 1896 model. The wood might be cut differently to accommodate that difference. It might be possible that the top wood on yours could handle a 3 inch scope rail without any cutting. On the other hand, if you don't mind drilling, their 6 inch rail might be good.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Andy: I don't know how original your Krag is? It is always a shame when someone ruins an original receiver by having it drilled for scope or peep-sight holes. (The holes lessen the re-sale value of the gun). A scope has to be off-set on a Krag action so as not to interfere with ejection of cartridge cases. I believe S&K makes a no-drill receiver mount for the Krag. The old "no-drill" Redfield peep- sights are also a good option for aging eyes.

Andy

Post by Andy »

The rear sight on the rifle is 3.75 inches ahead of the receiver. the sight elevates to the rear and has no side rails to speak of. It is also adjustable for windage by rotating (loosening)a short lever at the fron of the assembly.
The rifle was purchased by my grandfather in the early 1920's as part of a government sell-off of surplus firearms following WW I.
Not sure what the "standard" rear sight looks like, but this one is very similar to those found on the 1903 springfield.
And yes, I hate the idea of altering the rifle, but have no intention of ever parting with it, I'll let the next generation of my family fight over it when I'm gone as I no longer have an heir.

Andy

Post by Andy »

Post script: A quick examination of the sight photos from the Association web page indicated that my rifle has a model 1901 rear sight.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Andy: What are other specifics of your 1898 Krag? (barrel length, front sight, state of stock, refinished, sporterized?). Lots of Krags have been rendered into the "Shooter" catagory long ago by sporterizing and refinishing. It's just a shame nowadays to have anything collectable ruined. When I was a teen, I remember reading an article on preserving and maintaining firearms. The author's main point was that you never really own a firearm. You are entrusted to be its custodian for a period of time. Enjoy it but preserve it for the ages. That mind set governs a lot of enthusiasts.

Andy

Post by Andy »

Don't have specifics on the old rifle. would like to compare the serial number to obtain more information. Receiver is stamped Springfield armory model 1898. However, just today I determined that it has a 1901 rear sight. looking at the reproduction hand guards available from Schwartz, mine matches the 1901, not the 1898. I believe the best solution is to purchase one of the repro handguards, transfer the rear sight and cut the new piece for the rail mount. preserve the original. Will still have to deal with drilling the barrell if I can't find a way to mount the rail without doing so. don' tknow of any other way to mount a quick-release scope. An email to Kraghause, regarding their Krag rails bounced back. Any suggestions are welcome.

Andy

Post by Andy »

As for general specifications--barrell lenght from receiver to muzzle is 30". It has an "insert" type front blade. (which I found bent over when I rfetreived the rifle from storage, so need to take to the range to re-zero.) It has a full infantry stock and is in the original form as it was sold to my grandfather following WW I. It has not been sporterized and was sold as military surplus. This was apparently a large sell-off of surplus rifles as he once told me he could have bought either a trapdoor springfield, the Krag or an 1903. He chose the Krag. Hunted with it for many years, then past it to me. It was the first "big-game" rifle I used for several years. It is definitly a shooter, just from use. Serial number is:55897, and have I ever been wrong!!! I scrubed off the serial number to read it better and found right beside it "model 1896". Except for normal wear and tear over 100+ years, it has been lovingly maintained.
Recently attempted to buy a headspace gauge for the rifle but the item was temporarily out of stock. (never knew there was such a thing, or that it was needed.) Supplier is supposed to notify me when they are once again available.
Any help with additional information on the rifle will be greatly appreciated. For instance, where can I reference the serial number?

Andy

Post by Andy »

P. S. to Butlersrangers. I agree with your author, I only wish that I had someone to pass it on to who will care for and about is as much as I do. I have only a nephew, who, although he is a federal law enforcement agent cares nothing for collecting, hunting or the value of family hierlooms. My younger brother would sell it in a NY minute if he thought he had a good deal.

Andy

Post by Andy »

2nd P. S. to butlersrangers; I am not familiar with S&K. Who are they and how can I contact them?