mounting a "scope on my Mod. 1898 Krag.

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
tanker

Re: mounting a "scope on my Mod. 1898 Krag.

Post by tanker »

S&K

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html#

Andy

Post by Andy »

contacted S&K, they said that their scope mount will not fit my Krag.

98src

Post by 98src »

Andy...........This is your best bet ( although you won't be able to use the original sights at the same time ). It will allow you to keep your Krag original AND still use a 'scope.

http://www.kraghaus.com/product-p/rail1002.htm :)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Andy: I quickly checked Poyer's book "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine". Serial # 55897 was probably made in February 1897. Your 1896 Krag Rifle likely saw use in the Spanish American War. To drill holes in its receiver would ruin an interesting and apparently original rifle (30" barrel & full length stock). Every year the number of original Krags lessens, usually due to fire, flood, or storms. It is a real shame when collectable guns are lost due to misguided gunsmithing. Putting a scope mount on your Krag's receiver by drilling and tapping holes will ruin your heirloom and turn a $800-$1500 desireable rifle into $400 of parts. I don't know in what state of condition your rifle is. I don't know if you have paperwork from when your grandfather purchased it from the government. It would be fun to see some pictures of it on this Forum. If you post some photos, you will get a lot of good info. and advice. You might consider selling your rifle at a collector's price and pickup a sporterized Krag for shooting. The scope rail that replaces (temporarily) the rear sight and allows a long eye-relief scope is a good option. Just leave your hand-guard off the rifle for clearance. (To take the handguard off: Remove the rear sight, Take the barrel and action out of the stock with handguard attached, Wipe the barrel with a lightly oiled cloth, Rotate the handguard 180 degrees and pull it forward off the barrel). Store your handguard with an appropriate diameter dowel inserted in the clip-springs to prevent spring tension from cracking the wood. Never, Never snap a Krag handguard over or off a barrel or dowel. Slide the handguard on and off.

Andy

Post by Andy »

I am away from home for a few days, will attempt to post some photos when I return. Any paperwork was long gone before I came along. I have only my grandfather's stories.
except for a few dings in the stock, the rifle is in good condition, considering it's age. I am aware of Kraghaus. I was hoping to purchase a repro handguard, transfer the sight and see if a local gunsmith could mount the rail into the repro without drilling the barrell.
Then be able to return to the original at a later time. The approximate value you posted is interesting. Never knew the old rifle had such a value. In any event, the emotional attachment is far beyond any price.

Adam Stephens

Post by Adam Stephens »

Don't drill it..... Don't drill it.... When I first got into curio's I went down this path.. need less to say later on I've regretted the few that I've drilled. Good thing they were only mosins, but still. You want a scoped gun go find a consignment or used hunting rifle don't bubba one of the few remaiing pieces of history. I'm doing everything I can to get mine as close to issued as possible. With dovetails needing filling a a big milled section cut out of the rear reciever it's been a task.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Sgt. Schultz says: "I may know nothing, but don't drill holes in your Krag"!Image