Just Saying hey

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
alcmaeon

Just Saying hey

Post by alcmaeon »

I decided I wanted a Krag to shoot, so I am poking around to find out info. This might make you all cringe but I am looking for a decent sporter. I love old sporters, not bubba hack jobs, but say a 1950's 1903 that was done by a good gunsmith and has vintage mounts and scopes on it. I have fondled a few Krags here and there but it wasn't until I got seriously into handloading that I decided it was time to load 30-40. So here I am. ;)

Dick Hosmer

Re: Just Saying hey

Post by Dick Hosmer »

The answer to your search lies at www.gunbroker.com

knute

Post by knute »

Even Krag sporters need a good home. You don't need a museum piece to enjoy shooting them. In fact, a good Krag that was sporterized long ago will cause less guilt when shooting it a lot.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The Krag made into a useful "Hunting Rifle" is a legitimate part of U.S. Firearms History. Some were done in a handsome professional manner. Some are interesting Folk Art. Some are ugly as sin and need to be salvaged for useful parts. It is too bad that desireable Krags are still getting sporterized or "drilled for Scopes" when so many ruined ones are around awaiting rehabilitation. As Knute stated, the sporterized Krags can make great guns for the Range. From my observation, the barrel needs to be anchored to the forearm with a barrel-band or screw tapped into the barrel to avoid the stock splitting behind the action (at loading-door & side plate).