Help with attaching gate 1898 Rifle

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Kavorka

Help with attaching gate 1898 Rifle

Post by Kavorka »

I followed the yellow Krag handbook to remove the gate so to clean the magazine page 12.
Iam having a difficult time replacing the hinge bar pin.I used a rubber covered clamp to hold the gate down on the magazine spring and tap the hinge bar rod in the forward hinge hole with a wooden dowel but cannot align the rear hinge hole with the rod. I did manage to get the hinge bar pin all the way into the rear hinge hole once but could not open the gate.
The gate assembly was working fine before I messed around but was only very very dirty. Iam upset with myself. Dave

butlersrangers

Re: Help with attaching gate 1898 Rifle

Post by butlersrangers »

Kavorka: Is it possible you have reversed the bowed flat spring? It should only bear on the door (hinge pin cavity) at the spring's center curve. Also, there is a notch in one end of the spring that is to clear action parts. The radiused end of the spring goes to the rear and the notched end goes foreward.
If every thing is clean and lubricated (pipe cleaners work good on door 'hinge pin cavity'), you should be able to hold the magazine door in position against spring pressure and wiggle the hinge pin back into place. It helps to repeatedly squeeze the door against the spring pressure to align the holes as you wiggle the hinge pin through.
When fully inserted, rotate the hinge pin so that the attached flat spring snaps into place even with the receiver bottom. (Make sure your hinge pin is straight. Try inserting it through the door while off the rifle. Try inserting it in the action minus the door and spring. If it is bent, it can be straitened with a plastic mallet and hardwood block).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dave: I may have made inserting the Krag magazine-door hinge pin sound too easy. It does involve a fair degree of grip strength. I pulled one of my Krags apart today just for practice. It is important that the hinge pin is straight. Also test that every thing lines up by partially assembling with out the flat spring. Make sure the tip of the hinge pin is not "mushroomed" and inserts easily. On my Krag, I can hold everything in approximate alignment and start the hinge pin in. I then with one hand squeeze the magazine-door against the spring in a bouncing action. With the other hand I apply pressure on the hinge pin. It slides in and the tappered tip begins to enter the hole at the rear of the magazine well. Slight taps with a screwdriver handle seat it fully. I then rotate the hinge pin into the locked position. Excessive pounding on the hinge pin will cause it to bend and should not be necessary. With practice, one develops "Krag muscles".

Kavorka

Post by Kavorka »

I did not take out the carrier with follower attached out of the magazine during the cleaning with cloth and solvent.
The magazine sping is convex and touches the center of the gate.
Does the square end of magazine spring go on top of carrier?
The gate lug cam just sits below the carrier heel (end)?
I smoothed of end of hinge pin . I was going to put a finishing nail in the rear hinge hole to help with hinge pin alignment then apply some oil to the hinge pin hold the gate and start the pin at the front.
I had to use a wooden dowel with light taps to get the hinge pin free when I took it apart for cleaning.
Any more thoughts. Thank you Dave

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dave: As you reassemble the Krag magazine-door, the flat spring just lies in its slot the curve projecting outward. The notched end lies loosely on top of the carrier parts (not tucked behind anything).

Kavorka

Post by Kavorka »

Can anyone recommend a source to fix my loading gate on my 1898 rifle?
I have tried but cannot get the loading gate open when the hinge pin is in place. I think the pin is bent? I have tried and tried but failed to get it to work.
I have the magazine spring convex curve touching inside center of loading gate, correct placement of magazine ends but no luck.
I need to send it to someone who is knowledgeable.I will pay labor costs etc.
The gate worked fine until I took it apart for cleaning . I should have left it dirty.
Thank you for your help Iam enclosed my email.
Dave in Michigan
dpaulisin@aol.com

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dave: Where do you live in Michigan? I live in the Holly, Michigan, area.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dave: A bent hinge pin just makes takedown and reassembly of the Krag magazine door more difficult. It can be easily straightened. It is more likely your jammed magazine door is a problem with the magazine spring (either broken or the front tip out of position). There is an easy check.
With your Krag barrel and action out of the stock, turn the action so you are looking at the bottom. Rotate the hinge pin by the small stud/flat-spring toward the magazine door. This exposes the front tip of the long magazine spring and a cam that is part of the follower/carrier. The front tip of the magazine spring should be contacting the cam in a small concave notch where it travels as the magazine door is opened and closed. If the spring tip is outside this notch, the door cannot open. The only other possibility I can think of is an obstruction to the follower/carrier (debris in the magazine). If you have the magazine door off, it is very easy to take the follower/carrier out of the action for cleaning. You simply swing it out the side and pull down. It is a self-contained unit and can be cleaned and lubricated without further disassembly.

Kavorka

Post by Kavorka »

Hi Chuck,
Well I fixed the problem on the gate.
I cleaned the hinge pin really good removing all burrs and cleaned the hinge holes with solvent and pipe cleaners. I worked on straighten the hinge pin.
I found that by removing the side plate it relieved the tension on the hinge / magazine spring by allowing the follower assembly to swing freely to the left and I could with aliitle effort push the hinge pin through .
I still had to tap with a small wooden dowel to finalize the pin seating.

Thank you for your kind offer to help me and your valuable guidance.
Best Regards,
Dave

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dave: Well done you! I am glad you were able to solve your magazine-door riddle. The more I play with my Krag rifles and carbines the more I appreciate the cleverness of the designers and the quality of manufacture.