Sighting in 1894 Rifle at 100 yards Help needed

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
butlersrangers

Re: Sighting in 1894 Rifle at 100 yards Help needed

Post by butlersrangers »

Kavorka: In the case of your 1896 model Krag rear sight, the sight leaf would be raised and the slide adjusted for ranges from 700 yards to 1,800 yards. The numbers on the side of the base are where you placed the slide (with the leaf down) to get the correct angle for ranges up to 600 yards.

Kavorka

Post by Kavorka »

Hi butlersrangers.I read over in the Mallory book on my sight.From his book it appears that my 1894 Krag S/A rifle has a 1896 rifle sight.Left side of base (cut off side) has 300-600,faint 650 yard mark. Right side has 16 lines indicating every 25 yards as per page 125 of Mallory book.Ladder is marked 700-1800 yards.I think you use the front edge or the horizontal bar as you slide the bar on the base to set your target distance from 300-600yards. The end of the base would be at 650 yards.Therefore the 100 yard range would be ladder down and horizontal bar set all the way back to ladder hinge.Sight notch at B ( see above)previous post from cjwils
I think I understand. I will post some pictures soon.
Thank you all for your help on my education.
Dave :)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Kavorka: Keep in mind that most military rifles have sights intended for the battlefield and not 100yd. target ranges. I have a 1904 Manual, "Firing Regulations for Small Arms", published for the United States Army and Organized Militia.
The Scoring Forms for Competitions it contains have qualification matches fired at 200, 300, 500, 600, 800, and 1000 yards. The Bull's-Eye Target was being "returned to" or substituted for figure targets, which were silhouettes of infantrymen and horsemen. There was a tendency of soldiers in combat to shoot too high. U.S. troops were taught to "aim low".
"141. Short-Range Aiming. -- The trajectories of the rifle and carbine are so flat that the sights have not been arranged for any elevation less than 300 yards; within that range the gun will therefore shoot high, and should consequently be aimed below the bull's-eye." (page 82 - Firing Regulations for Small Arms - 1904).

Kavorka

Post by Kavorka »

Hi Butlersrangers.Once again, thanks for the information.I was aiming the Krag like my M1 Garand at the 6 o'clock position with alittle white showing below the sight. I will get a heavier grain bullet and try again but alot lower with the Krag and the ladder folded down at the 100 and 200 yard ranges.
Regards Dave

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Kavorka: If you are somewhat handy with tools (file & drill), consider making a taller front sight blade from sheet steel using the profile of your original. With a proper size punch, it is easy to drive out the front sight pin (left to right - if looking from the breech). The original blade is then just a friction fit in the base.
The higher new blade can be adjusted (filed) by trial and error to center your shot group.
The original blade can easily be reinstalled.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Lazy Solution: When a rifle shoots too high with sights at lowest setting, staple one bull's-eye above another on the backer. Aim at the lower bull so bullets strike upper bull. Through experience, you can position the lower bull vertically and horizontally so shots center on Ten Ring of the upper bull. You really only need a rifle to shoot to actual point of aim when hunting or for formal match shooting.

Kavorka

Post by Kavorka »

Thanks for the great advice.
Dave

Kavorka

Post by Kavorka »

I will use 2 targets as you suggest before I mess around with the front sight.
I ordered some 180 gr ammo ( could not find 220gr)so the test will have to wait.
Thank you all
Dave