magazine cut off

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Louis

magazine cut off

Post by Louis »

Can anybody help me find the correct magazine cutoff for va 1894 30-40-Krag Jorgenson.
I purchased one from Numrich but its not long enough to direct the bullet toward the chamber.
This is my deceased Grandads rifle, and I want to bring it to my uncles in upper NY state. When I was given the rifle
the magazine cutoff was missing, I bought one from Numrich but it was for a 1898 rifle. I took a chance that the part had not changed. But the length must be different because it does not direct the bullet enough to line up with the bore. any help and or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank You

Louis Hanlon
SFC,

US Army-RET

5MadFarmers

Re: magazine cut off

Post by 5MadFarmers »

DeChristopher.
http://www.tradenet.net/joede/k_krag.html
Item K70.

Order info on this page:
http://www.tradenet.net/joede/

Not only is the length different but they work in the opposite direction (up on/off).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Louis: Later types of Krag cutoffs usually function with earlier U.S. Krag actions. The length of the cutoff shaft is not relevant. On later cutoffs, when the lever is rotated to the 'up' position, it turns the flat surface of the shaft even with the inside wall of the receiver. This allows cartridges to be fed into the path of the bolt. When the cutoff lever is in the 'down' position, the round surface of the cutoff shaft projects from the inside wall of the receiver. This 'bump' catches the cartridge rim and prevents the reserve cartridges from being picked up by the bolt. (The earlier cutoffs worked on the same principle but the lever positions were reversed. I believe these were replaced to avoid confusion. The later cutoffs have a polished area that shows when the lever is 'up'. This was so your sergeants and officers could easily detect if you were in "rapid-fire mode" and not holding your magazine in reserve.
If your cartridges are not smoothly entering the chamber, it is more likely a problem with the over all cartridge length or the contour or shape of the bullet.

Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I agree with Butlers Rangers - the magazine cut-off has nothing to do with the cartridge feeding problem you're describing. The Krag was designed for round nose bullets and most spitzers don't feed very well. Some Krags will feed better and some will eject better than others. What type of ammo do you have that isn't working? W-W loaded a 180 gr. Power Point spitzer that didn't feed well at all. I don't know if W-W loads 30-40 at all anymore but they loaded a 180 gr. round nose power point at one time that was probably the best feeding factory ammo available. The Remington 180 gr. CoreLokt is definitely still available and has a spitzer type bullet but works better than the W-W spitzer did. It still catches at the chamber mouth some but won't deform the tip so much when it happens. Working the bolt faster sometimes reduces the occurrence. Any handloaded round nose will not catch and if I wanted to load a spitzer, I'd try a Speer Grand Slam, which has a more rounded ogive than the average. Again, the only thing thing the magazine cut-off should do is allow or prevent cartidges in the magazine from coming up to the bolt.

cjwils

Post by cjwils »

I agree with Stewart. My model 1898 absolutely will not feed anything other than round nose bullets, and it has nothing to do with the magazine cut off.