new member needs info on 1896 Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
cody

new member needs info on 1896 Krag

Post by cody »

I purchased this 1896 Krag not long ago and have been trying to research it but cannot find one exactly like it. The serial number indicates it was made in 1897. I am assuming that it is a remake of some sort as the stock is different than all of the carbines I have looked at but has the original buttplate and barrel band. Overall length is 39 1/4" Barrel is only 20.5". Any information would be appreciated.

cody

Re: new member needs info on 1896 Krag

Post by cody »

additional photo

cody

Post by cody »

additional photoImage

cody

Post by cody »

serial no. 48523Image

cody

Post by cody »

Photo of rear sightImage

cody

Post by cody »

Could this be an factory upgraded model? Does anyone have any ideas??

98src

Post by 98src »

This is a "Sporter" that has been made by cutting down a M1896 rifle. It almost seems that there are more "cut-downs" than there are original length rifles. They were typically made by the local gunsmith or the owner, depending on the amount of skill and tools the owner had. They made ( and still make ) great deer rifles if they are in good condition.

knute

Post by knute »

I found an article about Krag rifles in a 1920 Fur-Fish-Game magazine. It was touted as a good inexpensive rifle for a little over $5 (a good bolt-action sporting rifle was bringing in about $50). It was noted that the carbine length (20") was the most desirable. It is ballisticallly superior to the 30-30 lever action, which was very popular at the time. The article went on to state that if your gun fell out of the canoe on a hunting trip you wouldn't be out much. It also stated that ammo could be had at $16 per thousand. It's a little more difficult nowadays to find ammo, although I've been able to find it. Reloading is another avenue.
The desire to have a Krag in carbine length for hunting must have lead to the demise of several Krag rifles being cut down. Your cut down Krag seems to have kept the original style sights. Most cut down types I've seen used a different front sight. I too have a cut down 1896 Krag. The replacement barrel is 24" and is from a 1903 Springfield (made in 1909). My handguard is gone, but I am otherwise happy to own it. It is representative of a Krag that had its usefulness extended by being sporterized. Not as valuable as a non-sporterized Krag. Its biggest value is what it means to you.

fred

Post by fred »

As stated, it is a cut-down rifle. This does not diminish its ability to shoot, however. If the bore is in good shape these are great shooters. I have a full-length "correct" rifle and a cut-down carbine like yours. The carbine gets shot a whole-lot more!

daveboy

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Cody: Did you measure your barrel by inserting a cleaning rod until it stops against the closed bolt face and marking the rod at the muzzle? Your rifle picture looks to me to have a longer than 20.5 inch barrel. A carbine barrel is 22 inches when measured as I have described.