Comparing Original Finishes

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Century2

Comparing Original Finishes

Post by Century2 »

Spent a relaxing Sunday with the Krags oiling them up. First time I have had my 1900, 1901 & 1902 de-stocked and side-by side and I thought it was a great picture opportunity. Sharing here for the viewing pleasure of all.Image
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. Theodore Roosevelt

Century2

Re: Comparing Original Finishes

Post by Century2 »

pic 2Image
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. Theodore Roosevelt

Century2

Post by Century2 »

pic 3Image

Century2

Post by Century2 »

pic 4Image

Century2

Post by Century2 »

pic 5Image

Century2

Post by Century2 »

pic 6Image

kstone1020

Post by kstone1020 »

In pic. 3 there is a lever switch opposite the bolt. mine has been removed and in its void I have a pacific peep sight. What is the function of that switch? Im curious cause mine has been removed.
I have a post on here with my 98 photos. Just go to my homepage and you will find the post easy enough.
Thanks,
Ken

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

What is the function of that switch?

Magazine cut-off - prevents the bolt from picking up a cartridge when turned to the off position. Keeps you from wasting ammunition in a firefight until the enemy charges and the sergeant says you can stop single-loading and use the magazine.

kstone1020

Post by kstone1020 »

then I suppose mine being gone is no real difference considering I just hunt deer with mine. and thanks for answering

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The U.S. Krag requires the "magazine cut-off" to be in place or a similarly shaped shaft to be inserted in the machined cavity (for the cut-off) for the action to smoothly feed rimmed cartridges. The Pacific Sights cleverly incorporated such a shaft as part of the sight base. This allows for a very solid sight mount and smooth cartridge feed. Krags with Redfield "no tap" receiver sights may have difficulty feeding cartridges unless an appropriately contoured shaft fills the cut-off hole.