New firing pin

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
The Old Coach

New firing pin

Post by The Old Coach »

New to the forum, so bear with me. Among my half-dozen Krags, I have a 1898 action that has a broken firing pin tip. Is there any source to buy new, or do I have to tool up and make my own?

butlersrangers

Re: New firing pin

Post by butlersrangers »

Check GunBroker for "Krag". Original parts routinely show up. I have seen a reproduction Firing Pin listed but it costs about the same as an original. A good Machinist can easily chuck your broken Firing Pin in a lathe, machine off the broken tip, bore into the Firing Pin body, and then 'press-fit' a new properly contoured tip.

The Old Coach

Post by The Old Coach »

Been buying/selling on GB for years. Had a search for "Krag Pin" going for months now. No joy. But if pressing a new pin into the old body works OK for the Krag, then I can do it myself. I do that quite often for old, low-pressure single-shots, but wasn't too keen on doing it for a high pressure cartridge in a bolt gun. If the body is soft enough to drill, I'll give it a try - nothing to lose.

Thanks !

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Here you go
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=227820843

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Ned is right. I just found the listing and was going to share but he helped you first. I have bought things from drbecker and he is a straight shooter. $15.00 plus postage is a good price.

The Old Coach

Post by The Old Coach »

Thanks guys! As usual the email notifier in Gunbroker hadn't told me that these were there ! Wish they could get that to work better than it does.....