1894 Springfield Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
hammond

1894 Springfield Krag

Post by hammond »

I have a Krag 1894 serial 68xx. This has been in the family for years. I happened onto your forum and wondered if there is anything special about this rifle. It has definitely been altered but is quite nice and a good shooter.

Dick Hosmer

Re: 1894 Springfield Krag

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Sorry, but am not clear on your question. What did you mean by "anything special"? There are only four 68xx rifles listed with SRS, so the odds are 25-1 against there being any unique info available for that particular gun. When you say "altered", did you mean the official alteration to M1896 configuration, or, civilian "sporterization" for hunting? That would certainly have an effect on value.

Most very low numbers such as that WOULD probably have seen SAW service with the regular army, circa 1898, but that is about all that can be said, I'm afraid.

They ARE fun to shoot, and it is great to have a gun that came down in your family.

hammond

Post by hammond »

By anything special I meant as to the history of the rifle. Is a low 6820 serial common. A search for the serial number didn't list this number. 50 or so serials before and after were issued th the 18th infantry according to my search.

The monetary value of this rifle isn't important. It has been sporterized with a glossy finish on the stock, blued magazine. There are very few marks on the stock and barrel. The bore was checked by a gunsmith reported to be great.
It is fun to shoot!

Mostly I am interested in facts about the gun. How long was the barrel before it was cut ? (I'm assuming it was but it doesn't show). Did the forestock go way out to near the muzzle? Does the hinged door for cleaning gear on the butt plate mean that it was altered to M1986 configuration? I don't know very much about these rifles. Thanks for your reply.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

The lower serial numbers ARE less common, because they were used harder, and, they are definitely UNcommon - if not rare - when found in "as-issued" configuration. The first picture in the Krag album on my picture page will show you a full-length unaltered M1892 rifle.

Most of the model 1892 arms (all of which were marked 1894) were converted to Model 1896. Your barrel was originally 30" long, and the stock did come nearly to the muzzle, which allowed the mounting of a bayonet. The trap in the butt was a feature which started with the M1896 - the M1892 buttplate was absolutely flat, and of thinner metal as well. You have an interesting "blend" of parts there.

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Check out the Photo page on our KCA website. There are quite a few photos of an 1892 rifle in full military configuration, which is what yours would have looked like originally. There are also many other interesting photos to look at there.

Enjoy the site and, of course, enjoy the gun.

Best regards,
Tom Butts
KCA

woodbury

Post by woodbury »

looking for info on my 1894 springfield serial no.23255 looks all original

98src

Post by 98src »

I don't find that number in SRS Vol #1, but several rifles on either side of that one were in the hands of the 8th INF in 1899/1900.