Source for 30-40 cartridges

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
like2shoot

Re: Source for 30-40 cartridges

Post by like2shoot »

I have some on order from Cabelas, but they have been back ordered for a while, and the "arrive in stock" date keeps getting rolled back.

like2shoot

Post by like2shoot »

I have some on order from Cabelas, but they have been back ordered for a while, and the "arrive in stock" date keeps getting rolled back.

jimbob

Post by jimbob »

I have gotten 30/40 shells from wisconsin and they shoot good.

Stewart

Post by Stewart »

If you can't find factory loads try Bitterroot Valley Ammo which sells their products via "Cheaper Than Dirt". They are a more affordable custom ammo loading company and their products are very good. They offer a 165 gr. load.

Plain Old Dave

Post by Plain Old Dave »

Here's another alternative: Reload.

Almost every round I have put through my Krag in the last 10 years or so has been one I made with my trusty Lee Loader. You don't need a press or much of anything else. Just the $20-30 or so the Lee Loader sets you back, and your Krag brass from your gun. Modest handloads will allow brass to last 10-15 years; I have cases I have reloaded 4-5 times before they split.

Just realized my Lee Loader is a collector's item itself. came in the old cardboard box and has load data for Norma (!) powders. Far as I know, Lee still makes them, and for a shooter that doesn't burn through hundreds of rounds a session in their Krag the Lee Loader is all you will ever need.
Chattanooga Strong.

knute

Post by knute »

Reloading is a good avenue. I've got the dies, but I have brass on backorder. The best I've been able to do is to find some boxes of ammo at out-of-the-way sporting good shops and reload after shooting the factory loads. Both brass and ammunition is hard to come by.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Just saw this

http://shop.reedsammo.com/product.sc?productId=1773&categoryId=125

4th_Generation

Post by 4th_Generation »

I'm in S.E Lower Michigan, and I have no problem finding new Remington .30-40 ammo anywhere.

like2shoot

Post by like2shoot »

I got my backorder Remington 180 grain from Cabelas today. Obviously, they now have some.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Last gunshow - one week ago - I could have had probably twenty boxes of nice clean, recent, stuff - IF I wanted to pay a little over $31 per box, average.

Fortunately I have about 160/180 rounds of brand-new, and I don't shoot much; so, that will last me, I'm sure.

Found some LC62 Match ('06, not .308) for $25 a box, and I think the seller would have done a bit better for all of it. THAT I should have bought. Fortunately a friend of mine knows the guy - so, I may hit him up before the next show. '06 Match seems to have pretty well dried up in N. Kalif.