Front sight height for 22" Krag carbine?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Nick Adams

Front sight height for 22" Krag carbine?

Post by Nick Adams »

For those who have a 22"-barreled Krag carbine, or a Krag rifle that was cut-down to 22", AND who are using a rear receiver sight, like the Redfields or Lymans, I'm looking for help on the correct height for the front sight.

I have a line on a Redfield "no drill" receiver sight that's still in pristine shape and even has that extended sideplate screw for mounting. On my carbine, this would give 26" of sight radius between the front sight and the aperture.

My 22" Krag "carbine."
img

My question is: what height front sight are people who have 22" barreled Krags using with the receiver-mounted apertures? I'm just looking for a "ball park" height from those with carbines set up this way, just to get an idea of how much higher the blade on my front sight may need to be ...

My front sight is a Springfield 1903 barrel-band unit, and the pinned blade was trimmed down to .265" or .267", as close as can be measured from the pin hole using calipers.

Front sight.
img

This height works well with the Krag 1901 rear sight that is mounted forward on the barrel, but a taller one will be needed with the Redfield aperture sight.

I have a couple of those tall 1903A3 "A" blades that could be modified to fit this front sight.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Nick Adams : Today at 05:50 PM.

"Underneath our starry flag,
we civilized 'em with a Krag."