Help - need photo of P.C./School carbine

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
PaulS

Help - need photo of P.C./School carbine

Post by PaulS »

I am preparing an article on the Philippine Constabulary and I need a good photo of a "Carbine, .30 Caliber, M1899, Altered for Knife Bayonet & Sling" - a.k.a. Philippine Constabualry or "School" carbine.

If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it if they would e-mail me. Any photos that are used will be credited as per the owner's preference.

Many thanks. :D

Vaughn99

Re: Help - need photo of P.C./School carbine

Post by Vaughn99 »

not positive but one has been posted on gunbroker for some time it might be what your looking for.

thanks
vaughn

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Paul,

There is one on my website - www.picturetrail.com/sa4570af - you cannot (at least I hope you cannot!) copy that one, but, if you like it, I'll be happy to send you a copy for the purpose you describe. It is a legitimate specimen.

Dick Hosmer

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

You should look in the photos section of our own Krag Collectors Association website! We have a couple pictures of one there compared to the 1899 carbine. The site address is www.kragcollectorsassociation.org Check it out there are many good and informative photos there.

Best regards,
Tom

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

(Copied image removed.)

Sorry, Dick. Couldn't resist!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Parashooter - I have mixed emotions about that. We have never met, or even talked, yet I "like" you, and I respect your computer/graphic abilities. I should thank you for exposing the fact that PictureTrail is apparently not secure, and I do appreciate the fact that you printed the image backwards with a superimposed message. However, a simple email to me would have served the same purpose, so, I do ask that you respect my copyright, and not do it again. Thank you.

Paul, I am rather disappointed in not having heard from you, after answering your plea for help. But, now that you can see the quality of the proferred image, you can make your choice as to whether or not you want to use it. And Tom, I'm not sure the comparative shot from the "Photos" section would reproduce satisfactorily.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Apologies, Dick. My server log shows it was viewed from four IP addresses - mine, yours, and two others. It's in the bit bucket now.

johnmwmd

Post by johnmwmd »

Dick,

That is an awesome website you have with some of the best Krag pics I have ever seen!

I believe I have a "Model 1899 Carbine, Altered for Bayonet & Sling", however the stock is incorrect, the handguard and correct rear sight are missing and it has a peep sight occupying the magazine cutoff hole. The front sight is correct.

Do you think it is possible or even worthwhile to attempt to restore it to its original configuration? I have seen sights and handguards on eBay, but no stocks.

Thanks,

John

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

John,

Thanks for the kind words.

I have never seen a loose stock, myself. They would be very scarce, unless you just happened to blunder into one. The good news is that you can easily make one yourself, since the end was plugged by SA. Not sure what you have now - if an original carbine stock, leave it alone, or sell it to someone who needs it - I would NEVER, EVER advocate destroying a good stock to make a "mockup" (fake), but, improving a Bubba is, IMHO, fair game, so long as the work is disclosed to a future buyer. End of lecture.

The rear sight, usually a 1901C, should not be a big problem. Mag. cutoffs are plentiful and cheap. Handguards are getting scarce and pricey, and, for what you are doing I'd suggest a repro - but agree up front that you can return it - some do NOT fit properly. Setback of wood from muzzle is same as standard rifle. You will have to do something with the upper band (also cheap and plentiful). SA pressed them over a mandrel to enlarge them - I would THINK (never done it) that your approach would be a CAREFUL (so as to remove metal uniformly and maintain roundness) filing of the inside of the barrel straps. Only a few thousandths need to come off.

johnmwmd

Post by johnmwmd »

Here's a picture of what the rifle looks like. It is a cut down stock.

img