Infantry rifle or Cavalry Carbine or ???

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Al McFadden

Infantry rifle or Cavalry Carbine or ???

Post by Al McFadden »

In 1959 I purchased a 6.5 Krag rifle in Sydney Nova Scotia, Canada. At the time of purchase I was cautioned to use the 6.5x54 ammunition. For the last 48 years I have fired many, many boxes of 6.5x54 ammunition through this rifle.
Recently I became interested in finding some background on this rifle. Your web site provided me with partial answers and I hope you can enlighten me further.

This rifle appears to be a Norwegian M.1894 Krag Joergensen Infantry Rifle with 2 differences. The first and most obvious is the stamping on the barrel. It has a matching serial # and crown and the stamping 6.5mm MANNLICHER-SCHOENAUER on the barrel. The rifle had no upper stock on the barrel and this stamping is quite obvious.
The second difference is on the stamping of the receiver. The crown stamp on the left side of the receiver is different. It appears to be the same stamp as a carbine. I can send photos if requested.
Have you heard of this configuration? I am trying to find out as much as possible of the origin of the rifle and this configuration isnt listed anywhere. Can you help?

Vaughn99

Re: Infantry rifle or Cavalry Carbine or ???

Post by Vaughn99 »

Hello please send all available pics and i'll find out what you have hopefully. please contact me via email listed in my account info you can access by clicking my name in this post.

later
vaughn

Ols

Post by Ols »

This sight for Norway Krags might be of help

http://www.geocities.com/kj983260/

Al McFadden

Post by Al McFadden »

Thanks for the link, but they don't solve the problem. I don't know if the barrels are stamped or not. I'll try to get some pictures posted here.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Al,
It is my impression from the information you have given that you have a Norwegian Krag carbine that has been rechambered to fire the 6.5x54 MS cartridge. Why? That is hard to say. Maybe the person had other rifles in that caliber and just wanted a super smooth actioned Krag in the caliber as well or maybe they just liked the caliber and had a Krag and access to a chamber reamer, who knows for sure!?
I would also like to see some pics. nebutts@citlink
Ned