Help please

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
archydiver

Help please

Post by archydiver »

I just bought my first Krag for my collection, but after looking at all the pics on this sight mine is a bit "odd". Its a Springfield with a serial number of 1321. On the left side of the reciever is stamped US along with "1894 Springfield Armory 1321. On the stock (left side wrist) above the trigger, is a faint "squiggly" cartouche with 1896. The barrel is 30 inches long but it has a short stock, with a single barrel band but no spring keeper. The butt plate has a trap door. It also has "volley" style sights. From everything I've been reading here, my krag is an oddball of sorts. I went to the springfield serial number website and couldnt find any info by serial number. If anybody could shine some light on this I'd appreciate it. The action is good and smooth, barrel is nice and bright, I can't wait to take it to the range. Also, any commercial ammo recommendations, my wife wont let me near explosives or let me handload:)

geezmo

Re: Help please

Post by geezmo »

Your Krag was made in 1894, and is a Model 1892 rifle. Most of these were rebuilt to Model 1896 configuration. Your stock was "sporterized" or cut down. Full stock infantry rifles didn't have band retaining springs. The later 1896 cartouche date may have been from the rebuild period, or the stock could be from another gun. You may want to check which rear sight, handguard and bolt you have. These could also be Model 1896.

As for ammo, Remington is about the only brand I see here in N.Y. It runs around $22 or $23 a box here. You may have to put your foot down and get into reloading. I would hook up with a friend with reloading experience first.

Good luck.

archydiver

Post by archydiver »

Ok, I did some more checking and the rear sight is an 1896(type1?) and the bolt appears to be 1896, but I didn't really see any differences in the bolts, from what pictures I've found here. There isn't an upper handgaurd, its metal from the receiver to the end of the barrel. After looking at some of the pictures on here I want to re-stock it back to issue infantry configuration. Thanks for the response, I REALLY appreciate it. I'm new to krags. I'm a martini, enfield collector, but this krag just feels good, the action is smooth and seems to glide.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Welcome to Krags! I would STRONGLY suggest that you order a copy of "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine" from www.northcapepubs.com For $20 it will answer MANY of your questions, and give you all sorts of little detail bits to look for. That is (obviously) a VERY low number.

Restoration will be a problem as regards the stock - thousands of people are in the same boat, so they are priced accordingly. You do not want to do ANYTHING until you have done some reading so as to know to which period/configuration you should restore it. At least you still have the full-length barrel - that is a huge plus! :-)