.30-40 ammo sources?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Paperpunchr

.30-40 ammo sources?

Post by Paperpunchr »

Are there any commercial reloaders that can supply Krag ammo until I can get my own hand loading operation up and going? I don't suppose theres still any surplus out there, and if there was it's probably more collectable than shootable, but I would like to shoot something other than $1 a pop hunting bullets. What do you folks use?

Paperpunchr
Paperpunchr&&&&While the bitter parties stifle every voice that warns of war, &&Every man should own a rifle and have cartridges in store! &&Henry Lawson, Australian Poet

dlemaster

Re: .30-40 ammo sources?

Post by dlemaster »

I would try www.midwayusa.com they have all the necessary supplies at reasonable prices.

Regards, Dave

Paperpunchr

Post by Paperpunchr »

Dave, thanks, but I'm looking for complete ammo, not components...and I found T's Guns in Texas City, Texas. I've used their 6.5 Swede before, and found they also make krag 30-40 and sell at about $13.50 a box (20), plus shipping. (I have no financial interest in T's Guns...he makes good consistant handloads with new brass.

What other small time commercial makers are out there? Any good ones in the lower price range?

Doug
Paperpunchr&&&&While the bitter parties stifle every voice that warns of war, &&Every man should own a rifle and have cartridges in store! &&Henry Lawson, Australian Poet

Paperpunchr

Post by Paperpunchr »

I've also found Wisconsin Cartridge on line...100 rounds for about $70...anyone familiar with it?
Doug

ngp58

Post by ngp58 »

When you go to a gunshow, try looking good at ALL the tables. Two years ago I found a guy selling .30-40 Krag Remmington and Winchester factory loads for $12.75 a box. This guy had a very small display and could've been easily overlooked. I bought as much as I could afford. I know that it was a rare find, but once in a while you get lucky. ;) :) ....Norm.

ClaudeH

Post by ClaudeH »

Don't overlook HSM (The Hunting Shack). No original thinking here, I was reminded of HSM on another forum.

http://www.thehuntingshack.com/catalog/retail/hsmrifle/3040krag.htm

I can't vouch for their .30-40 loads, but I have used a case of their 80 gr. .223 load for competition at 600 yd.s and it was a high quality product.

(By the way, that 80 gr. .223 loading is a very specialized loading that cannot be put together as a useful load for its intended purpose and stay 100% within SAAMI spec.s. Their loading of this speaks volumes on their technical savvy.)

Paperpunchr

Post by Paperpunchr »

Thanks! The rifle and ammo (from T's and Wisconsin) arrive spearately Tuesday...looking forward to trying them out! I;ll keep the hunting shack in mind for future orders as well.

Doug

Paperpunchr

Post by Paperpunchr »

By way of a range report, I've noticed that with both small makers' ammo, there's a frequent problem with hard closing that appears to be due to primers not being seated flush or recessed. Found some commercially produced Remington and Winchester at a gun show, and I don't find the same problem. Thought you might want to know.

Paperpunchr.

norcaldn

Post by norcaldn »

well i can buy my ammo for the 30 40 at a bi-mart (northwestern chain) but winchester still make it so try the local sporting good store and if they don't carry it see if they will order it. i pay about $16 bucks a box of 20 rnds

Rap Scallion

Post by Rap Scallion »

8-) It's out there, Ya just gotta search for it.

I bought 5 boxes friom the afremention Wisconsin Cart Co and just bought 2 brand new Win ammo at the gun show in San Antonio Sunday.

If you get to stop in some small towns and go through the old gun stores or hardware stores you can usually find some.

Plus the way to go is to buy the dies and reload it your self. I have several hundred pieces of brasas now and that will be my next step to 30-40 Fun!
W G Bill Martin&&Live Oak, Texas