Extractor spring tension

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
ClaudeH

Extractor spring tension

Post by ClaudeH »

I purchased a complete 1898 bolt in "very good condition, only a couple of scratches, excellent for a rebuild" condition. (I only wanted it for spare parts, the one in my rifle is fine.)

I received it today and find the extractor to be loose and floppy. On my good bolt, removed from the rifle, with the extractor oriented parallel with the bolt as when it is in the rifle, the extractor is held against the bolt by its inherent springiness. On the just purchased bolt, with the extractor oriented parallel with the bolt as when it is in the rifle, the extractor is floppy and easily raised a half inch away from the bolt body before encountering any springiness.

Am I correct in concluding that there is something damaged/defective about this extractor?

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Extractor spring tension

Post by Ned Butts »

From your description I would have to agree that something is wrong. Either the extractor slot in the bolt sleve is oversized or the extractor is too thin, or possably a combination. Compare with your correct bolt and see what you can find out. Either part is available if you want to keep the bolt and replace the bad part.

ClaudeH

Re: Extractor spring tension

Post by ClaudeH »

Thanks for the reply. I had to make a pretty quick decision whether or not to return it for a refund, which I did.

It occurs to me that this might be a not uncommon problem if the extractor is pried up improperly for bolt removal or replacement.

I suppose it could have been dealt with some way or another, but considering the disparity between the description and the actual condition, I decided to just return it while I could.

I must say that straying into the world of Krags is something entirely different. I have been repeatedly disappointed by the condition of parts from e-bay. I have not needed to be this cautious in buying parts for somewhat more modern and more numerous milsurps.

I conclude that if you want to be into Krags you can't do so superficially. There are a number of idiosyncracies and a rather limited pool of very aged parts.

Glad I joined the party, this should be interesting!