New to me Krag--Info would be appreciated

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Amanda4461

New to me Krag--Info would be appreciated

Post by Amanda4461 »

Hello folks,
I am new here since I purchased a Krag 1892 Carbine (I assume it is a cut-down rifle) last week via Gunbroker.com. This little jewel, serial number 434082, was rebuilt by a gentleman name of Pat Forthofer. I believe it was originally made in 1903, by serial number lookup. I shot it the day I picked it up. Muzzle Erosion measures a big fat 0. Bore is sharp and bright. Mr. Forthofer put a nice color case-hardening on the magazine door. The rifle is quite the looker, and was able to shoot 8 factory Winchesters into a 2" group at 100 meters. I have no idea if this is good or bad, not having a history with Krags. The bolt is superbly smooth. Without a doubt, this is the nicest rifle I have ever purchased. Blues are smooth and dark, action tight and smooth, and the stock is fine. It does not have a saddle ring. The front sling swivel band has an "UP" marked near the top. It has what I assume to be a bolt release lever at the left rear of the bolt. Does it have a secret handshake to get the bolt out? I am probably being too cautious, and did not investigate other than to flip it up and down. I assume it stays up normally? Can you recommend a nice book on these babies? I would like to have a rifle-length Krag too. Seems this is as much a sickness as my M-1 Garands. I guess anything from Springfield Armory (the real one) is something I will want to own. Thanks for your help!
Kerry

Rick_the_Librarian

Re: New to me Krag--Info would be appreciated

Post by Rick_the_Librarian »

Hi, Kerry,

Welcome to the addictive world of Krags! I started out with one last year and now have four - had a fifth for a short time!

Your rifle is probably a Model 1898 and was probably built as a rifle, not a carbine. Look carefully and make sure the "8" in "1898" is not "1899". The lever on the left side is a cutoff lever. Krags (and 1903s) were originally made so that the magazine could be used or the rifle used as a single shot weapon with the magazine in reserve - part of the U.S. military doctrine of the day, which distrusted magazine rifles.

The bolt does come out. When you pull the bolt back, pull up on the extractor (the long flat piece on the top of the bolt) and twist the bolt handle to the left (up) and it should come out.

I don't think I'd complain about 2" groups! ;D

You probably have one of the cutdown rifles modified by Bannerman or W. Stokes Kirk. Do you have an original Krag sight and handguard or have they been removed/modified?

Amanda4461

Post by Amanda4461 »

Rick,
It is an 1898. The rifle is listed in Gunbroker with a bunch of nice pictures if you have time to look at it as item #39380061 sold by "archjon". I paid $865 for it, and I was not disappointed in the least. Check it out. I believe it has the original rear sight. The front is a blade. Everything works and appears brand new. I would like to find Mr. Forthofer to get him to do the same type of work to a Springfield 03, and maybe a Trapdoor. I was very happy with the 2" groups, especially with 60 year old ammo. I can't wait to try some mild handloads. This one sits in the gunsafe beside my favorite M-1 Beretta and 03A3 Remington. They all get shot a bunch, and will all see Camp Perry this coming year. Nothing like walking to the 1,000 yard line with ancient history while the black plastic boys stare and giggle. I think the noise scares the youngsters, or maybe it is the fact that the old timers kick lik a mule compared to the plastic fantastics. I take satisfaction in knowing my guns will probably see their 200th birthdays in working order, while the M16s will be in the landfill taking up space beside the x-boxes. Thanks for your help. I love to rant ;D
Kerry

Rick_the_Librarian

Post by Rick_the_Librarian »

Beautiful rifle! Yes, I remember looking at it. Be careful with a 1903 or Trapdoor, especially if they are collectors items.

The Krag is fun to shoot - pretty mild recoil, compared with an '03 - wish the ammo wasn't so expensive. I took my 1898 to a hunter sight-in and had lots of "onlookers" while I shot it.

Amanda4461

Post by Amanda4461 »

I found a "C" on the side of the front sight, and the barrel band is "pinned" in place. Don't know what all that means. Gun is a Carbine now. Barrel is 22.5" long.
Can anyone tell me if my rear sight a 1902 model, or is it known by another name/year? It is a ladder style, it has a small loosening/tightening tab at the front towards the muzzle, used to adjust windage. Graduated from 0 to 2000 yards. Numbers on left side of ramp are 4B, 3, 2, 1. On the flat top of the ramp, at the front screw toward the muzzle is a "4". The right side of the leaf has a knurled knob for changing elevation. It is blued.
Thank you!
Kerry

Don_B._in_KS.

Post by Don_B._in_KS. »

Sounds like a 1901 rear sight. They are one of the Buffington family of rear sights along with the 1884 for the trapdoor Springfield and the 1905 for the M1903.

Amanda4461

Post by Amanda4461 »

Don,
Thanks! Now I know what to look for in For Sale ads :)
Kerry

JL2695

Post by JL2695 »

I just saw this message and after checking out the pictures on Gunbroker I see that my "new" rifle has the same style front sight. Does this indicate that it was originally a long rifle that has been cut down to carbine length?