AM I GOING ABOUT THIS THE RIGHT WAY ?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
GRUMPY1215

AM I GOING ABOUT THIS THE RIGHT WAY ?

Post by GRUMPY1215 »

I'M STILL WORKING ON MY FIRST KRAG. IT'S A 1896 CARBINE SN 79207. IT WAS MISSING THE HAND GUARD AND REAR SIGHT AND HAD A REDFIELD SIGHT THAT ATTACHED AT THE SIDE PLATE AND AND CUT OFF. I BOUGHT A 1902 RIFLE SIGHT & SCREWS AND MATCHING HAND GUARD WITH A LATE CUT OFF( SO I COULD AT LEAST SHOOT IT ). IT HAS BEEN RESTOCKED WITH A 1899 STOCK ( TYPE 4C IN THE KRAG BOOK BY POYER ). AM I HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION ? ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT !

THANKS
GRUMPY

Rick_the_Librarian

Re: AM I GOING ABOUT THIS THE RIGHT WAY ?

Post by Rick_the_Librarian »

It depends - Are you trying to "restore" it or just make a shooter? Another consideration is how much you paid for the rifle and how much for the parts.

I've seen Krag Bannerman/Kirk "shooters in the $250-300 range.

GRUMPY1215

Post by GRUMPY1215 »

I found it shoved behind a work bench in my father in law's shop when we were cleaning it up for my mother in law. She said her father had bought it back in the twentys or thirtys after he had gotten out of the Marine Corps. I told her I would like to keep it so it could stay in the family, so she gave it to me along with a nice Savage model 24. I bought the sight and hand guard for around $160.00 and that what I have invested into it. From what I've read so far it would have been restocked this way before it was sold as surplus. Would this be the right restoration? I Would greatly appreciate any info

Thanks

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

You are going in a correct direction here. Many M'96 carbines were restocked and then reissued into service long before they were surplused out. The wide spred use of the saddle scabbard insted of the shoulder strap being the reason. The restocking and changing of sights to inproved models is a legitimate step in the life line of many Krags. If the finnish wear on the barrel shows that stock has been on the carbine for a long time, then it would be considered "correct" but not "as issued". The bottom line is that you have a M'96 Krag carbine no matter which configuration!
Enjoy it,
Ned

GRUMPY1215

Post by GRUMPY1215 »

Well I feel better now about what I've done so far! The stock looks to have been on it a for a long time with the way the finnish is worn on the barrel where it's exposed. Now it looks like it's time to take the old gal out for a day at the range when the weather gets wamer, ( It's freezing cold here in Denver right now ) hopefuly this weekend!

Thanks
Grumpy