modify or stash?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
highland

modify or stash?

Post by highland »

I have a carbine, Springfield, Model 1896, serial # 56003 (made in '96 supposedly). It has a 1901 rear sight, measures 21.5 inches from front of receiver to end of barrel, no handguard, and what looks like original rifle swivels and sling. The front sight is missing, although the end of the barrel has a "seat" for a post sight. The stock is walnut, has no cartouche or proof mark, and has had the butt plate replaced with an old Ithaca Gun plate. The forestock appears to have been cut and modified, resulting in a "tang" finish that ends about 1.5 inches in fron of the front ring (which does not look like the '96 carbine rings posted on this website). There is some surface rust on blued barrel, but not bad. Action and bore are pretty clean, but a little gummy, and the bore looks pretty smooth to my untrained eye. I'm guessing that this is what the forum refers to as a 'cutdown' rifle (by who? the armory?) I'd like to use it for deer, but not if it has much collector value. Any opinions?

Rick_the_Librarian

Re: modify or stash?

Post by Rick_the_Librarian »

You have a sporterized Krag 1896 rifle. I don't see any problem with further sporterizing. I would say it has little or no collector value.

njretcop

Re: modify or stash?

Post by njretcop »

Agreed..........