Can you ID this cartridge belt?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Keith_Alderson

Can you ID this cartridge belt?

Post by Keith_Alderson »

I will try to post pictures of my belt for your evaluation. If I am unsuccessful here are the particulars. Metal ends with a 'hog ring' type adjustment that fits into woven slots. 35 .30 cal loops. 47" overall length. Mills Logo of a rimless cartridge. Pat date of 1905. Thanks.img
img
img
img

Thanks for the help!
keith

Richard_Sherman

Re: Can you ID this cartridge belt?

Post by Richard_Sherman »

Herb:

I have looked in my two Dorsey books, "American Military Belts and Related Equipment" and " US Martial Web Belts and Bandoliers 1903 - 1981". Did not see the belt you picture.

Since its not in Dorsey's books, has only 35 bullet loops and has no holes for hanging misc stuff, I would guess its for civilian use. I think your belt's clasp style replaced the "C" style clasp when the 1903 belt for the Springfield 03 was fielded. The Mills inside a bullet logo was commonly used by Mills. The Apr 18 1905 patent date is a valid Mills date, but I can't recall which specific feature it covered - or more likely I never knew. I also have a dim recollection that the three colored threads are some sort of ID feature. Memory is the 2nd thing to go - my shooting eye was the first :-)

Keep up the Fire

Richard Sherman

Keith_Alderson

Re: Can you ID this cartridge belt?

Post by Keith_Alderson »

Thanks Richard, you were right on! I just got a reply from Stephen Dorsey and he said the belt is pictured in his latest and largest book on belts and it was produced for civilian use with any .30 cal ammo. Produced in large numbers according to him. Thanks again. (I am ordering the book).
keith