First Krag...New to everything related

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
nomaddan

First Krag...New to everything related

Post by nomaddan »

Hello everyone!

I have just received my Great Grandfathers Rifle in the mail from home and have no idea what I'm looking at. I have found out from poking around the net it is a Krag after hours of looking for a Springfield :).

Heres the info:

Marked -
US
Model 1898 Springfield Armory 481177

the cartouche is JSA 1901 and there is a P circled behind the trigger with the number 48 right above it.

It looks like it is in pretty good shape. I was told it was carried in WWI so it has some bumps and bruises but nothing too bad. No cracks or big gouges. It appears to have everything intact as well.

The bolt had to be removed for shipping and I can't get it back in. Any ideas on where I can find a how to or a diagram?

I guess I would like to get an idea of how much it might be worth so I can insure it and see what I would have to do to see if it can still be fired (is that a good idea?).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link were you can see some pictures.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/surplusrifle/vpost?id=8062

Thanks!

Dan

Kragkid

Re: First Krag...New to everything related

Post by Kragkid »

Go to the 2nd page of the "Forum" and scroll down to the subjects about bolt removal and instalation.

billdavidmoore

Post by billdavidmoore »

You asked as to value. What I have seen is from @350.00 to $1000.00 for a 98, perhaps a few hundred more. It depends upon the condition of the rifle. The Photo section of this forum has a photo of a 98 krag. A 100+ year old gun should not be shiny blue as in a recent reblueing job, the stock should not be cut at the sling swivel as so many have, the barrel should be 30" with the appropriate rear sight. Since you are insuring it and the cost between 500.00 and 1500.00 is minimal, insure it for the maximum. If you are going to sell it, photos and closeups are desirable. You can go to www.auctionarms. com or www.gunbrokers.com and see a lot of Krags in varing conditions and prices. Hope you inherited a winner.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Hello Don,
From your pics your rifle has an '03 Springfield front sight. It appears to be a Bannerman style cut down. Would you give us the barrel length? An original Krag barrel would be 30". If it has been cut down I would say it is in the $200-$300 range depending on the quality of the work. It should be a good shooter though.
Ned

nomaddan

Post by nomaddan »

Darn, the barrel from the end of the bolt to the tip is only 24".

Is there anyway to have it restored? Would it be worth it?

Thanks for all of the info.

Dan

Ken_in_Iowa

Post by Ken_in_Iowa »

The two parts you need to restore it to original configuration will cost you $4-500.

Barrels and stocks are in high demand because many were sporterized.

I'll post a picture of some Bannerman and W. Stokes Kirk advertisements from the '20s and '30s for you.

BTW, how is the bore in that rifle? If it is good or better, it would be nice to have as a shooter. My guess is that $3-350 would be about right for a value.

Is the handguard cracked?

Ken

nomaddan

Post by nomaddan »

The bore looks pretty good to my amatuer eye. You can clearly see the rifling(sp). It is a little dirty as I have nothing to clean it yet, but I don't see anything that doesn't look like it shouldn't be there. The hangaurd is not cracked. It really looks like a nice rifle. I can't see any obvious signs it has been modified. Of course all of this is my opinion and I know nothing so take it for what you will. ;D