1896 Carbine

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
bighal

1896 Carbine

Post by bighal »

Just found this excellent site and I will mail membership today. I dug out my 1896 carbine that I have had since 1980 and not ever researched in depth. One of the forum comments was on the '96 carbine sight so I looked at mine and suprise, suprise it is a 1896 RIFLE sight. The rest of the carbine looks ok but what are the distinguishing characteristics of a '96 carbine so I can see it there are other "repalcements", I do not have any Krag reference books other that Flayderman's 8th Edition.
My carbine is s/n 30986 and it is 1896 without "Model" which seems correct.
Bighal
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Don_B._in_KS.

Re: 1896 Carbine

Post by Don_B._in_KS. »

The leaf on the 1896 carbine sight is marked to 2000 yards (20). On the right side of the leaf, above the 19 is a C and there is a notch on the slider front face plate that is the width of the gap between the two arms of the leaf. That being said, all of these things can be produced by clever people who are tempted by the fact that an original 1896 carbine sight is over $300 anymore.

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Bighal,

Glad you found our site and are happy with it. Take a look at our "Photos" section from the homepage. There are some very good photos of the various sight variations and pictures of what to look for in a fake '96 carbine sight. Enjoy!

Best regards,

Tom
[glb]KCA[/glb]

bighal

Post by bighal »

Thank you both for the info. What book(s) would you recommend on Krags?